CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
I get where jaxie is coming from.
Thanks Maru. And thanks for the link in your post, very interesting read.

I have wondered in this case if the parents encouraged the child to out himself as the story seems rather strange and the child too young to understand and express sexuality. As Ammi said, assumptions can be made, and assumptions can be wrong. I doubt many nine year olds understand what sexuality is, let alone being able to claim their own. Children go through so many changes and little girls particularly will often have strong crushes on other girls and women they admire at this age but grow up to be hetrosexual.

People can get it wrong, specially if they are parents who think their child may be gay at such a young age and it's not the appropriate age for this discussion beyond understanding your child and their needs and trying to encourage them that they are loved and special whoever they end up growing up to love. I have known boys and girls with a preference for the toys that are considered more appropriate for the opposite sex by society and this has no bearing on their sexuality later on. I have known a very camp man who was completely hetrosexual.

I suppose what I am saying is people do not necessarily fit into categories or into boxes, particularly at such a young age. We change, things change and children should be encouraged to be who they are without being categorised.

This is a very sad case with a child who must have been very unhappy.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 31-08-2018 at 06:17 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote