CBB14: Audley
CBB 11: Speidi
Virtual Biscuit Eater

Favourites (more):
CBB14: Audley
CBB 11: Speidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Again, you're defending her right to be racist under the guise of "God, you can't do anything anymore. I wonder if people will get the sack in future for saying Janet Street Porter has funny teeth!"

No. She's not a victim of "Evil Internet", she's opted to do a stupid teenager thing on the internet, rather than in life where it can be forgotten. There's a difference.

It's not about being "nice to everyone" it's about not being racist, and not being racist in public where, guess what, people will judge you for that.

Yes, making a racist joke to your mum or friends is something that could just be forgotten or not ruin your life, something you can regret and move on from. But this isn't about that, she made it online next to a profile identifying her to the whole world. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I know there's a 'BIG DIFFERENCE'. That's exactly what my last post clearly explained. No need for capitals when we agree.

Neither am i 'defending her right to be racist' - again i clearly said she was a fool to make such bigoted remarks. And its not just about race, people are punished in this way for all types of 'hate speech' (against groups).

My point: 'Will people get the sack in the future for other types of offensive remarks they made in the past?'

Well it's already happening over racist speech, as with anti-religious and homophobic remarks. Laws are currently being discussed to make misogyny a hate crime.

Not exactly a giant leap to expect that trend to continue into other areas of potentially offensive speech:

Currently the focus is on minorities (POC etc) but do you not think that insulting people for being white, straight etc will one day be treated in the same manner? In the name of equal treatment, i guess it would have to go that way.

What about going beyond groups? Will offending individuals eventually be treated the same as offending whole groups?

Are we heading for a world where all offensive remarks and rudeness are treated as 'hate speech', subject to the same level of outrage as anti-racial/religious remarks are today?

If not - at what point do you think it will stop?

Not challenging you or anyone personally, but it's a big topic worthy of thought.
Robodog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote