View Single Post
Old 16-01-2019, 02:48 PM #330
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I never said anything like that
It wasn't directed at you, but at the "no penises in female only spaces" comment that Livia has made five or six times in this thread alone.

Quote:
I do! Maybe not specifically a masked man but yeah, I've warned my kids about scenarios like those happening? I thought most parents did tbh?
She knows that bad things happen to people and what to do if it does happen but the point is she knows it is still very UNlikely and so doesn't actively worry about being snatched every time she's out on her own. And we don't base the rules on whether or not she can or can't do things on the slim possibility of something happening to her. No one can live like that, and that's how it works on a societal scale, too... every day, people board planes with their families knowing that planes DO crash, but understanding that the chance of ours crashing is tiny. Thus, logically, there's simply no reason to exclude transwomen (whether they have a "diagnosis" or not) from being in female wards based solely on the tiny possibility of one of them committing assault, and even LESS because of the small possibility that "some people might feel uncomfortable or frightened". Honestly exactly the same logic was applied when certain places in the US stopped relegating black people to the back of the bus; that it shouldn't happen "because people would be scared and intimidated" - especially women and the elderly - because of their false beliefs about ethnic minorities. I firmly believe that if we start basing decisions like this on "what everyone is comfortable with", NO progression could ever occur in any area.

That said, none of it is a reason to abandon common sense and individual use of judgement. If someone's behaviour is concerning or there's reason to believe that their motivations are suspect (such as a large burly man with a beard loudly insisting he's female) then of course they should expect some questions to be asked, but I just can't see that scenario actually happening often enough to be considered anything other than an anomaly... with the vast majority of self-IDing transexuals quite obviously having traits of their chosen gender.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 16-01-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote