View Single Post
Old 23-01-2019, 02:09 PM #65
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
The James Bulger case marked a changing time in Britain. Before he was abducted and murdered, people left their kids outside shops (not that Denise did that even) and were a little more relaxed about things, this case changed all that and people started to fear more for their children. I don't agree with the points that you have to be a parent to understand the loss, you may feel it more keenly as you go through "what if it happened to mine" scenario but I think most people can understand the absolute devastating heartbreaking and life changing effect losing a child would have.

I'm in two minds about the film - I have read both Ralph and Denise's books and they are heartbreaking but only come from one perspective. I would be interested to see how the murderers handled the police interviews, how the police themselves handled it and to see if there was any indication if they comprehended how horrifically evil the acts they committed that day were.

I suppose the worry is that the watcher would feel some sympathy for them if they are acted by children but the fact is, that is who committed the murder and we all know their ages at the time, I doubt many would feel any sympathy now - especially with the way Venables in particular has turned out after release. In some ways if their evilness is apparent, Denise's campaign to keep him locked up may gain even more support.

So I'm on the fence on this one - although it is fundamentally wrong that the family were not consulted about the film
There are some good docs on YT about it. I watched one ages ago with the police and the boys' solicitors talking about all the stuff you said you're interested in finding out about. You should have a look.

Edit:

Think it was this one

Last edited by The Slim Reaper; 23-01-2019 at 02:10 PM.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote