View Single Post
Old 20-02-2019, 11:17 AM #15
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
And also many Jews were saved by Poles. Talking about one group without mentioning the other seems a bit one-sided.
The extreme fear brings the best and the worst in people. Collaboration with the Nazis took place all over Europe. Don't see Netanyahu picking fights with other countries, let alone the perpetrator of it all, Germany? Jews from all over Europe were shipped to the camps you mention.
Poland lost 6 million citizens in the war, 3 million were Jews, the other 3 million were Poles.
I'm not in denial about what some Poles did or about anti-semitism present in Poland (like the rest of Europe), but let's take the full picture into account and not insult heroes by tarring the whole nation with the same brush.
I don't feel like I've insulted anyone. You (or maybe Nicky) mentioned the Vichy French, but failed to mention the heroes of the French Resistance. So forgive me if the loss of 3 million Polish Jews colours my judgement a bit.

Yes, lots of Poles helped, they hid people, they got people out of the country, putting themselves at risk... but lots took the opportunity to strip Jews of their property and possessions. Lots of Polish families now live in houses stolen from Jews. A large number of Poles came to the UK and joined the war effort, the RAF, the army... similarly lots of Poles collaborated with the Germans and worked for the Nazis in the concentration camps. And Poles fell to Russians , a million of them in fact.

The difference between Germany and Poland for me is that Germany has laid its soul bare, come to terms with what they did and made peace with it. Poland is still turning a blind eye.

Last edited by Livia; 20-02-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote