BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant. View Post
I think it's because of Gen 6's impact on the series

Gen 5 introduced moving sprites, which were outshadowed by the introduction of 3D modelled Pokemon 3 months later
Gen 5 introduced rotation/triple battles, which were removed 6 years later
Gen 6 made competitive Pokemon battling a lot easier too, which is where some of its praise originates from
(Note how I say Gen 6 and not Kalos because... Kalos was extremely underwhelming lmao)

Gen 6's Mega Evolutions and 3D graphics are still here 6 years later while some key features of Black and White have just. Gone. Objectively Black and White have a better story but in retrospect not much of Black and White's impact is felt in the series today. And I don't mean to **** on designs but a good number of Gen 5 Pokemon were uninspired imo (see: Smithy's post. I actually like the designs which usually come under criticism, e.g. Vanilluxe and Garbador, because they are original/have very loose inspiration from other Pokemon. The Pokemon aren't necessarily badly designed IMO, just... very samey and relying on nostalgia in a sense).

That said, I think Gen 5 was a certainly needed generation for all the reasons it was criticised for (I certainly needed a soft reboot of the franchise) but it's not a concept that shoud b revisited - not for a long time, at least. And this is coming from someone who tries to exclusively use new Pokemon to the region in my playthroughs (I never rely on Pokemon introduced from previous games)
yeah i mean mechanics wise gen 6 brought a lot but both good and bad, like i remember tonnes of people complaining about how bad some of the designs looked when ported over to 3d. also I'm pretty sure the mega evolutions are being ditched like we haven't got a new one and its like the new games want you to forget they existed lmao (iirc you couldn't even get them in sun and moon and you can only buy them in that very end game battle tree thing in usum). gen 5 introduced a ton of things that were only really specific to its game like the gems, the music that plays when ur at critical hp (i used to love that <3) and a bunch of stylistic things that were put in to make a good game rather than to make the competitive format thats played by like 5 people more chaotic (i used to play competitive pokemon, its so messy lmao).

to me it just seems like a lot of the new games are really watered down and this was most apparent with gen 6 for me. I think nintendo are catching onto the fact that most of their consumers are less likely to pour a ton of time into a game in the age of mobile gaming and the internet where you've got access to pretty much everything gaming entertainment wise at your finger tips instead of you having like one game to complete. Its noticeable in a bunch of game series but I've played pokemon for longer and have noticed it more here. Pokemon has never been a hardcore game but yeah, there have been a few trends that have kinda soured it for me and it was most notable in gen 6 imo. anyway i truly don't remember much from the xy game either like i had to look up who the bad guy team was and your partner/rivals (weren't there like 4 of them that followed you around lmao). I only remember the packmen because they were relevant to the competitive format like aegislash, talonflame. I honestly enjoy these games when i sit down and play them but lmao what a mess!

i don't really watch the anime so i can't comment on that. I'm pretty sure literally everyone hates the bw anime tho if I'm not mistaken lol
Elliot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote