View Single Post
Old 21-04-2019, 08:05 PM #260
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
The state of the squad is very much Wengers fault. Mustafi, Xhaka etc are both Wenger signings and no where near good enough for the Premiership. Running down Aaron Ramseys contract was something Wenger did with Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshire, Sanchez, Ozil, Walcott etc. yet every couple of years we were hearing Wengers new contract. He took care of himself but not the players. Arsenal at the time were structured so Wenger definitely had a say in how the contract were handled.

I like Emery, at least I can see what he's trying to do while with Wenger I was completely confused with some of his game plans and tactics. The problem is the Chairman. I dont understand how with the mega TV deals Premiership teams have why there is only about 45 million to spend.
I think it became a bit harder for Wenger in the end. For most of his time, he only really had Chelsea in London and only really Manchester United, nationwide, to compete with for signing the best players. But with the emergence of Spurs in London and Manchester City and Liverpool, nationwide, then it became more competitive to sign the best.

Just remember Wenger is the man that brought top tier players like Bergkamp and Henry to Arsenal, they're the calibre of players he would have liked playing for him.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote