View Single Post
Old 22-06-2019, 01:09 PM #35
-

-

I don't think vehicle insurance for cyclists should be compulsory (for example, it would be ridiculous if I had to pay cycling insurance for the 5 minute ride to my daughter's school which is 90% along an off-road cycle track) BUT I think it should be available and highly encouraged for cyclists who are doing a frequent commute primarily on city streets and other areas of busier traffic / pedestrian activity.

Because yes the highway code says to be aware of pedestrians and give way to pedestrians at all times, and cyclists shouldn't be cycling so close to the pedestrian walkway that they don't have time to avoid collision if someone steps onto the road. That they are often forced to by other traffic is somewhat irrelevant... and if you have absolutely no choice but to move in close to the pavement, the appropriate thing to do would be to slow right down to walking pace (4 or 5 mph) to make collisions far less likely and far less serious if they occur, not 10+ mph cycling speeds.

So yeah I'd say the accident was primarily her fault for being distracted and not paying attention, but it's still the cyclists RESPONSIBILITY because cyclists are using a type of vehicle and thus they are the ones who are supposed to be adhering to the highway code. It's a vehicle operator's responsibility to be aware of the fact that pedestrians might do something stupid... in other words... and there are no Jaywalking laws in the UK.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote