View Single Post
Old 20-07-2019, 06:05 AM #47
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The story is a few days old but it's one that promotes an interesting conversation. For the sake of clarity, ScarJo has since clarified her comments to essentially say that acting should be free of political correctness and that it's an actor's job to embody someone other than themselves.

When it comes to race, I think racebending is fine as long as the character's race isn't an important part of the story but I don't think a white person should ever play a black character or a black character play an asian person ETC. The creator of Ghost in the Shell actually supported her casting but I remember feeling uncomfortable when she went around calling herself 'Motoko Kusanagi'. I think there's wriggle room when it comes to stories like Ghost in the Shell but I just think that film handled it poorly. I think Altered Carbon did a better job of telling that kind of story better.

I do disagree with controversies surrounding cisgendered actors portraying trans characters though. I think it's great if you can cast a trans person in the role but I think the story is often more important than the actor portraying it. I also think there's a certain level of hypocrisy in the reaction to Scarlett being cast in that film that was highlighted well by Sonique who is a trans drag queen who basically made the point of saying that a lot of trans people complain if they are only considered for trans roles so if they want to play cisgendered roles then they can't really oppose the opposite either.

Same with sexuality really, there was a film released a year or two ago called Love, Simon and that got hit with a lot of controversy from the LGBT community because the lead wasn't a gay actor and I find that ridiculous. Actors shouldn't be limited to only playing their sexuality and actors shouldn't be typecast for it either.
...oh sorry, I think I got completely wrong what the thread is.....I need to shake myself awake this morning...hmmmm, with Love Simon for instance...?....I can see how sexuality wouldn’t be important for the part, it was left open for any sexuality to play...I haven’t seen the movie but that’s what I’m thinking...?...and yeah in an ideal movie world, as it were...that would be the way...but is it also about the limitation that some actors feel in that they’re only being cast in certain roles, which might feel to them as a bit ‘stereotypical’....because the diversity just isn’t being written or if it is then it’s just not being open to the same consideration for all actors....?...which is what some in The movie industry have been saying for many years...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote