BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Sitcoms have always had moments of being serious and dealing with actual issues that effect everyday people, but if a sitcom can’t do its job and make you still laugh in those moments that it’s probably just a bad one, I think you may be reading a bit too much into it.

I’ve just binge watched Friday Night Dinner and even though it dealt with real world things that effect people, it never failed to be hysterical even in the face of said issues, the same as Gavin and Stacey.
Yeah I agree with you on the fact that Sitcoms have always had the odd serious moment, but that's what it's meant to be is the odd moment (which is still more than I would like personally) but I am willing to meet the writers halfway on this subject.

I mean I was probably harsh listing Family Guy on this thread as it's so old now that it's having to do extreme experiments just to remain fresh, so I can understand where they're coming from more than shows such as Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Goldbergs, or season 5 onwards of TBBT.

For me with Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Goldbergs they're not unfunny shows imo (although season 6 of The Goldbergs is quite ropy) with Brooklyn Nine-Nine it's episodes like He Said She Said where the A plot of the episode had no humour in it at all which to me is strange in a Comedy to have most of your episode not being comedic. And an episode later on in the season where Amy wants a baby and Jake doesn't is like an episode out of Home & Away rather than a Comedy. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is at it's best with episodes like Circo De Mayo, Sicko, and the episode where Rosa has all different horrific hairstyles as it's ridiculous but it works for Brooklyn Nine-Nine imo.

And with The Goldbergs they can actually do the Drama more convincingly than Brooklyn Nine-Nine imo, but it's a shame that it's always the same lessons on repeat. Barry, Beverley, and Murray Goldberg are star characters though.

And I will definitely check out these shows that have been recommended at some point, thanks guys.

I'm a sick bitch.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote