Thread: Marianne
View Single Post
Old 22-09-2019, 01:52 PM #5
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I find that after about 15 mins or so I "forget" that I'm reading when watching with subtitles. It's a strange phenomenon really.

But yes I agree with Dezzy; even top-tier dubbing takes something away from the performances and storytelling. My father in law watches "Dark" dubbed into English. Just so wrong. It alters the feel of the entire setting and atmosphere of the show.

Tbh even things like Chernobyl which are obviously filmed in English in the first place, as much as I enjoyed it, I think I'd have preferred it to be in the authentic languages and dubbed . There's something jarring about people walking around speaking with English accents in what is clearly a very Soviet setting.
In my head, when people speak in english accents, I assume it's like the Tardis in Dr Who and that they are speaking their own language but to us it's english. I actually find it more offputting when a show has them speak in the accent since I'd think 'Why are these Russian people speaking english to each other? Why aren't the just speaking russian?' Having the accent makes me think they're just choosing to speak english.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote