Thread: Joker (2019)
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM #131
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I don't think you necessarily have to be into Superhero films to enjoy it or get it Matt, it's just a basic how the Joker became the Joker type story (I'm sure you have a vague idea about who he is anyway)

There's no actual superhero stuff in it either
Tbh I prefer the theory (that the directors have not denied) that the Joker in this is not actually THE Joker at all, and rather that the Joker who is batman's nemesis was just inspired by the aesthetic.

My reason for this is that the entire point of the Joker is that he is an "avatar of chaos". There is no how or why to him, there is no complex trauma behind him, he just IS, because he enjoys it, the violence and chaos, for no reason that anyone would understand.

It's the same reason that while I love Ledger's performance in Dark Knight Rises, he isn't my "best joker" in terms of the lore. But the Nolan films in general are really more interpretations of than representations of Batman lore (Batman is underskilled and underpowered, the tech / Batmobile etc is a more "realistic" take, etc.)

But yeah. I haven't seen Joker and it might be a great standalone film (I've read mixed reactions) BUT no matter what, I stand by my opinion that explaining the Joker ruins the Joker.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 09-10-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote