Thread: Manchester
View Single Post
Old 23-10-2019, 12:01 PM #37
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The street I lived on in Lancs (when my eldest was just a tiny bebeh ) was exactly the style of terraced house that Coronation Street has (except with small front gardens, not right on the street)... and funnily enough I remember thinking at the time... it's actually a really ANTI-social type of street. Like the worst place for a soap? Because the houses are all connected there's little or no garden to the front so you don't really "see people in the street", and the gardens at the back of the houses all have tall (like 8ft+) walls or fences between the houses. It seems like it's all very packed together, and yet, in 18 months living there I swear we barely glimpsed a neighbour .
I grew up in a terraced house, like the one you had, with a front garden, but my experience was quite different. I was 3rd generation on one side, and fifth generation on the other side to live on the same street. I had grandparents at No14, aunties and uncles at 50, 59, 70, 108... we knew everyone, they were all Mr and Mrs, we never called older people by their christian names. It was kind of like a village... if you forgot your key when you came home from school there was always someone to take you in. There were several elderly people who were invited to Christmas dinners and checked on in bad weather... we all seemed to care for each other. Of course, east London isn't like that anymore. Nowhere is, I suppose.

Last edited by Livia; 23-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote