��️50,817 votes for a Labour MP
��️38,316 votes for a Plaid Cymru MP
��️38,300 votes for a Con. MP
��️25,882 votes for a SNP MP

This is how broken the voting system is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Growing calls for electoral reform after vote share per party is revealed

Green MPs elected in yesterday’s general election represented more than 850,000 votes while SNP MPs represented under 26,000, according to figures from the Electoral Reform Society.

More than 330,000 votes were needed to elect a Liberal Democrat, compared to 50,000 for Labour and 38,000 for Plaid Cymru and Conservative candidates.

Meanwhile, the Brexit Party won more than 642,000 votes but failed to get any representatives in the House of Commons.

Overall, the Electoral Reform Society claims that 45.3% of votes did not get any representation, because of the number of voters who didn’t support the winning candidate.

Electoral Reform Society

@electoralreform
Across Britain, it took...

��️864,743 votes to elect 1 Green MP
��️642,303 votes to elect 0 Brexit Party MPs
��️334,122 votes to elect a Lib Dem
��️50,817 votes for a Labour MP
��️38,316 votes for a Plaid Cymru MP
��️38,300 votes for a Con. MP
��️25,882 votes for a SNP MP#ScrapFPTP

10:33 AM - Dec 13, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
9,078 people are talking about this
The figures, which come from analysing the number of votes compared to the number of MPs elected, have led to renewed calls for electoral reform.

Former Green party leader and Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas used her election victory speech to call for an end to the first past the post voting system, saying she felt “anger that our political system is so badly broken and is still letting down individuals and our country so badly”.

“Our electoral system is rotten to the core,” she said.

Last week, Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage pledged to change the party’s name to the Reform Party after the UK’s departure from the EU, in order to campaign for a proportional voting system.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ults-exit-poll
While I see what you're saying, to change the electoral system would basically need to entire government system to change. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, just that it's bigger than some seem to think.

MPs each represent a constituency - some are bigger than others, as smallish towns and their orbiting villages are different sizes (and demographics*) to big cities. Brighton is pretty big, probably bigger than a Tory town.

The PM represents the party which achieves the most MPs, i.e. the party with the most constituency representatives.

The way PR is being proposed isn't even fully defined, as far as I know. The seats in Parliament would be divided according to the percentage of votes, sure. But how would they be allocated? Can you guarantee that every constituency would get an MP from the party their majority voted for? Probably not.

*I'm not even talking about ethnic demographics. I'm a small town bumpkin, I'm nothing like you weirdo city folks in That London

Last edited by Oliver_W; 14-12-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote