View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 12:00 AM #4011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Saw the new Star Wars... I enjoyed it overall BUT I have two gripes that almost ruined the whole thing.

Spoiler:

1) I get that they were trying to pay tribute with the Leia stuff. They used old footage and cut it together with new conversations...

...and it's really obvious. It doesn't quite fit... the scenes play like bad video game cutscenes and it's really jarring. Like the characters are saying totally random **** to fit in with the footage they had of her.

2) Rey and Kylo Ren kissed and it was unnecessary, didn't really work in context, and felt a bit incesty. I don't think their connection was romantic, at all, it was a sort of "unexplainable connection through the force" and they didn't need to have them locking lips at the last second. Just weird

On the plus side though, at least they explained that Leia was trained as a Jedi by Luke and didn't just spontaneously start using the force out of nowhere in episode 7!

I enjoyed the film enough while watching.

Story-wise the main problem with this sequel trilogy is that the story was supposed to end with Return of the Jedi. So they never really knew what to do with it.

Spoiler:

Quote:
2) Rey and Kylo Ren kissed and it was unnecessary
I think they were pandering to the 'Reylo' fans on social media who have shipped those two being together.

Although there is an audio recording of a group of them reacting to the film, and they are furious when Rey names herself 'Skywalker' at the end instead of 'Solo'.

(Video of the end).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SszgJoKWg0c

Last edited by James; 12-01-2020 at 12:05 AM.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote