View Single Post
Old 24-05-2022, 02:50 PM #14
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I was born in 87. Me and one of my gaming friends (she's 37) were saying how lucky we were to have grown up with the best of both, physical media, catalogues, going to the video shop every friday being aloud ONE film to rent, and maybe a game, and that would have to last you all weekend. Or buying a CD album and discovering songs, not being able to try before you buy, hoping there were some real gems in the album etc. And also now where everything is there the second you want it.

Like you say, Stranger Things really taps into that nostalgia.
We're a definite bridging generation, it's an odd place to be I think. Remembering renting videos from Blockbuster and recording songs off the radio, but ALSO the birth of MP3 downloads, the internet in general, etc.

Gaming is a good example too; within the span of what I'd consider my childhood I played games like this:

Which I rented on cassette tape from the library, right through to this;

Which came out when I was 20.

It's been 17 years since the latter and really, games haven't changed all that much in that time at all. We defintiely grew up during a 20 year span (mid-80's - early 2000's) that encompassed an absolutely massive shift that you don't really see in any other similar short time span. Certainly not in the last 20 years . The huge leaps forwards in tech, entertainment, the internet, smartphones etc.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote