View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 02:17 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
I've met a lot of people like that over the past 10 years when I was down working in London. So much joy and generosity from complete strangers when you are in their houses fixing their TVs.

Moved back to Scotland and was instantly reminded that it's basically only family(the older ones) that make a fuss over you when you visit.

It's very strange, same as cuddling or a peck in the cheek when you meet friends of the opposite sex. Scotlands so uptight, but down london it just comes naturally to greet someone with a hug and sometimes a peck on the cheek.

I do miss that, I must admit.
Yeah, I feel like Liverpool and London are at the very least among the friendliest cities in the U.K., in-as-much as the latter has a rep. for being cold. With Londoners it’s all about more concrete time and functionality, because of how busy it is, but when they actually have time to look up they’re certainly no nicer than people from any other corner of the U.K. and other than the crime-problem people still mind their own business down there. Wining-and-dining solo is a common thing in London (nobody would bat an eyelid whether they’re actually really looking in your direction or not) whereas in certain places up north overly go-getter strangers with too much social time on their hands give solo diners pitying looks and try and give them company with a belligerently-patronising air that wouldn’t run if people just learnt to mind their own business.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude, don’t go hanging on to negativity and don’t go underselling yourself. That is all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote