View Single Post
Old 13-08-2009, 12:06 PM #1

Default BB\'s duty of care to HMs

we all know that BB is just a game show and we all know that HMs choose to go on and have to accept responsibility for their actions and that things will not be easy for them on BB.

However, there are limits. I have been watching BB for quite a few years and have never before seen one HM take so much abuse, intimidation, ridicule, sarcasm and humiliation.

I am of course talking about Freddie. He has not been blameless - he joined in with the baiting of David when he shouldn't have done and he behaved like a tw*t in the diary room.

However, NOTHING justifies what he has had to put up with. His experience for large parts of the show has been nothing short of mental torture and is quite sickening to watch.

People can crtiicise Bea and how much most of us hate her. But the main responsibility for this lies with BB itself.

They have a duty of care to their HMs to intervene when things are unacceptable and to make it clear to HMs that their behaviour is not acceptable.

And they above all have a responsibility to all their HMs to ensure that anyone who goes on that show is not someone who could act in ways that could harm other contestants.

There have been 3 HMs on this show who have been sociopaths (Noirin, Kenneth and Bea) - the latter by far the worst.

I really would like to know exactly how Channel 4 screens its contestants to make sure that they are fit to go on the show - not just that they themselves are fit but that they are not a threat to others.

It is one thing having psychologists helping HMs when they come on the show but it is another to make sure it doesn't happen in the first place.

If I was a member of Freddie's family, I would seriously be considering taking legal proceedings against them for breach of duty of care. If a woman who is diagnosed with sociopathic tendencies is chosen to go on the show, BB cannot just wash its hands. It must take respnsibility. And that includes admitting to breach of a duty of care to HMs and paying compensation for it.

I am sure I will be slated and told - this is just a game show - you accept it when you go on. But we all know there has to be a limit - physical torture would not be allowed on the show so why is psychological torture being allowed?
jegmeister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote