View Single Post
Old 17-05-2010, 03:11 PM #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElProximo View Post
Wrong.
See the lesson I gave you in another thread about how words work and evolve and meanings change as the users decide them.

In fact, almost everyone who uses that term today believes they are using the word 'cast'.
As in casting in a mold. As in the substance being poured into, put into (cast) the mold.
They do not even suppose it is from an Indian 'caste' system and even if they did they don't believe it is 'caste' as a latin for 'pure'.
and,
EVEN IF they supposed 'caste' referred to 'pure' they still do not intend this to mean 'less than half pure',
but,
are saying it in the sense of "My mother was pure German and my Father was pure English".
They mean that 'either half' was 'pure ___' and not that one is 'half pure and half impure'.

But none of that really matters when the truth is the modern usage will be they think and intend it to mean 'mixed-race' and in no way derogatory or demeaning.

You should also know there are PLENTY of words for which the original latin origins centuries ago would NOT mean what they do today.
If you actually applied to that rule yourself it would render you nearly speechless.
Which might be nice.

(nice.. a french town I mean huh?)
Can you not write anything in under 200 words? You do this in the main forum too. I know people don't know what it means when they say it and that they intend it to mean something different, but my explination IS why it's deemed offensive and which is what the OP was asking for and is what the term actually means.
DigitalSid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote