Old 23-10-2012, 06:52 PM #2
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Episode I– Machinations and intrigues

Spoiler:

Faldon Port
The Mystical Realms

Three and a half years previously

Celeste arrived at the town square of Faldon as a wormhole closed in an uncharacteristic manner behind her. A deadly human weapon known as a hydrogen bomb that Brameana, the daughter of the Lord Low troll had tried to send to Earth was now trapped between two worlds and who knows how far from detonation.

There beside Shamus’ dead body stood Major Bolak and the Colonel.

Bolak looked at Celeste
“I couldn’t save him” Celeste said tearfully, “I tried but it was a magical death”
“Where’s Brameana and the hydrogen bomb” the Colonel asked

Celeste shook her head still in a state of shock and feeling very much out of it, “Their between worlds” she said weakly and started to feel feint, “That hydrogen thing” Celeste then forced out, “It had some clock that was counting down” and then she lost consciousness.

Samuel caught Celeste as she fell, “Bolak any of that healing potion” he asked
Bolak shook his head, “I’m afraid you will have to get her medical attention on Earth. But we have more important problems” replied, “If that device is between our two universes when it explodes, it could force them apart so neither you devices or our orbs will work”

Samuel grabbed at the artificial wormhole generator and powered it up, “Maybe we can find it and disarm the devise”
“I seriously doubt you would be able to find it colonel, let alone in time to do any good” Bolak responded, “Go to Earth, get Miss Cooper to immediately tell the Drow liaison and G2 to execute emergency magical return, they will know what it means”

Samuel shook his head in confusion

“Colonel” Bolak said insistently, “Don’t waste time! If our universes separate beyond a certain point, your people cannot live here nor ours on your world. The drow and the leprechauns need to return here. It has been something we have all suspected could happen one day and all have prepared for should we have to” then Bolak added, “I never thought I would ever live to see this happen”

“What about Celeste” Samuel asked as the artificial wormhole generator created its characteristically green swirling vortex
“She has a human soul” Bolak said, “That may or may not count against her here but it means she will definitely survive on your world”

The green vortex was now at full size.

“It was good working with you” Bolak said to the Colonel and saluted
“You too Bolak, but what about the bugbears and the Ghetto trolls” Samuel asked
“That’s our problem now” Bolak replied, “NOW GO!” he ordered

Samuel picked up Celeste and the artificial wormhole generator and passed through the green vortex.

Major Bolak watched as the green wormhole collapsed, “even if they did work with the trolls, those humans had some honour” he muttered to himself.

Bolak stared down at the lifeless body of Shamus McTuckle, he too had been an honourable leprechaun, even if for most of the time they were nominally on different sides.

Bolak looked around, now the demons had gone, and without Brameana he was not sure if the bugbears and the Ghetto trolls would try and fight on. Would that alliance hold without Brameana and that accursed Vabalavich of the Hadreth.

He could not stay long, whatever happened, the Ghetto trolls and the bugbears would soon be venturing into the square, plus there was the other matter of the army on the march from Central City to deal with this invasion.

In one sense it was a pity there were not any of the atomic bombs left that Vabalavich had stolen from their Russian allies on Earth. A strike by a few at Faldon, and then at the Far islands and the Ghetto Troll and Bugbear menace would be over.

But then there would be some in the Drow High Council who would oppose that, after all, what the Ghetto trolls did was nothing more than what the Drow would have done if they needed to dispatch a leader who was not up to the job.

“Goodbye comrade” Bolak muttered and then chanted a small incantation.

Instantly Shamus’ body erupted into flames, and soon it was ashes blowing in the wind. That way he would not have the indignity of his body being used by the Ghetto trolls or more probably the Bugbears should they choose to fight on. This was Major Bolak’s last gift to a fallen warrior.

Bolak then smiled as he realised something, thanks to what Vabalivich had done in the alternate timeline against the Drow High council, and as he had come back from that alternate timeline, he had all the proof he needed to finally move against the threat of the Hadreth.

The danger they their existence possessed and their treachery would finally be exposed and the council would be forced to act.

Bolak heard the sound of hoards returning to the town square. Instantly Bolak teleported away to safety.

Just then, the bug bears and the Ghetto trolls ventured back into the square, looking very confused as their leaders were now nowhere to be seen.

+ + +

The Drow High Council
The Mystical Realms

(One Week Later)

Major Bolak approached the council with confidence and resolution.

Drow High Council leader Golpin looked down at the Major, “Have you come to tell us how the battle for Faldon is going?” the leader asked

“No your excellency, that is not the purpose of my request to address the High council” Bolak replied with typical drow arrogance, “Although I can say that with the assistance we offered thanks to the recent, but departed influence of the humans, we have ensured that the foothold the Ghetto trolls and Bugbears have in that town is confined there.

“It is amazing that the bugbears and the Ghetto trolls continue to fight so after the deaths of their leaders” one of the other drow members interjected.

“Only because they still have a common objective of overthrowing the Troll high council, sacking Karam Tag Chou and taking Central City.” Major Bolak replied “If they were to do that, we will see that in time they will turn on each other”

“What matter is it to us if they were to so change the current arrangement” yet another drow councillor asked.

“As the humans say” Major Bolak went on, “Not one jot. However” he continued, “If we are seen to be supporting the same side as the trolls, we show we are just as reliable as our real enemies the elves. Then we can press for more of a say in how this world is run, something the elves for so many years have fought to have us excluded from”

Golpin coughed, “As you say you have not come here to tell us how the battle for Faldon is going, why have you come to address the council”

“You should all by now have seen the report of Seer Tremain and her extensive psychic probing of my memories of that other time line”

“Is this related to your killing of Vabalavich on Russian soil on Earth” Golpin asked

“It is related” Major Bolak answered

“And the purpose of this probe?” another member of the Drow High Council asked

“You will see evidence of what I had been saying all along” Major Bolak went on, “about the threat to the Drow High council from the rise of the Hadreth order”

“But they have been loyal warriors to us” Golpin protested, “Their expertise in intelligence gathering is second to none amongst the drow. You know how successful they have been in campaigns against the elves”

“But” Major Bolak growled, “You cannot ignore how in that alternate timeline they overthrew this very council and put all of you and your families to the sword. Their loyalty is a sham. They seek to replace this High council with their order. They see you as weak and indecisive, a total mockery to what they believe it is to be a drow”

“That is your opinion” Golpin replied

“Seer Tremain’s report proves I am right” Major Bolak countered, “I may have killed the initiator of that one rebellion in the alternate timeline, but they are still there waiting for the next Vabalavich to lead them in overthrowing the High Council. If you allow that to happen after the proof that Seer Tremain has given you, then you will have only yourselves to blame”

“What would you have us do” another member of the Drow High council asked.

“It is time to move against them” Major Bolak answered, “Declare them as traitors immediately, seize their properties, and execute their leaders. Make an example of them. Show to the other drow and to the elves that no one order is above the rule of the Drow High council. In short, wipe them out before they wipe you out!”

The members of the Drow High Council suddenly started talking and debating amongst themselves. Some were complaining that this was unprecedented, others that it might not be a good idea to anger such a powerful order.

Major Bolak seized on that last point.

“Council” Major Bolak replied, “Many years ago on Earth, there was an order of humans similar to the Hadreth. They were called the KightsTemplars and they became too powerful until one brave ruler took action and removed them as a threat. Council, the report of Seer Tremain shows they are more of a threat than those Knight Templars were to the human authorities of the time. We must act now or they will overthrow this council just like they did in the alternate timeline.”

Golpin stared blankly for a moment at Major Bolak

“Even your own son” Major Bolak addressed Golpin, “joined the resistance against the Hadreth”

Golpin sighed, he had seen the report of the Seer. She had been very thorough on Major Bolak and there was no question. In the alternate timeline, the Hadreth had acted against the council, but was that just because of the actions of Vabalvich, who was now dead, killed by Major Bolak before he could set that chain of events in motion.

“It is with deep sadness and regret” Golpin went on, “I am forced to concur with Major Bolak. I hereby declare that the Hadreth order is to be dissolved and all those in the leadership are to be arrested and tried for high treason.

“Excuse me” interrupted one of the councillors, “are there not some in the lower ranks of the Hadreth who may not have been corrupted by the leadership”

“NO” interjected Major Bolak, “They must be all rooted out and removed as a threat. You must consider them as if they are like certain weeds. You leave just one piece of root and the weeds return”

“Those of the lower ranks will be removed from any position and treated with suspicion” Golpin continued.

“That will not be enough” Major Bolak called out, “They will still be a threat and their offspring too”

“You would have us execute children” the councillor who had pleaded for the lower ranks asked.

“Like I said” Major Bolak went on, “They will be like weeds. In the alternate timeline the Hadreth put all of your children to death. Only Jaheel escaped. As they did to you in the alternate timeline, so you must do to them before they strike”

“OK” Golpin called out, “As you advise, all those of the Hadreth must be treated as a treacherous”

“I will only be too glad to lead this cleansing” Major Bolak smiled

“I bet you would” Golpin muttered before he addressed the council, “I have already appointed another loyal member of the high council to oversee the removal of the Hadreth threat”

“Who?” Major Bolak asked angrily

“Marshall Dacron” Golpin announced, “He has served the council loyally just as you have and he is not of the Hadreth, nor like you Major Bolak has he been seen as someone with, as the humans put it an axe to grind against the Hadreth”

“I hope for all our sakes” Major Bolak groweled, “You have chosen wisely”

+ + +

The Fortress of the Loyal Order of the Hadreth Drow
The Mystical Realms

(One Day Later)

The guardian stood at the entrance to the rooms where the young drow children of Hadreth members were looked after while their parents attended to other duties. Only he stood between them and the other drow who had come with orders to slay every last Hadreth drow.

A solitary drow soldier approached him with his sword drawn.

To the guardian’s surprise it was someone he did not expect to see, the last apprentice he had trained in the way of the Hadreth, Marshall Dacron.

“The others are coming” Marshall Dacron told his former mentor

“And you cannot stop them?” the guardian asked, “they are but mere infants, they could be of use to the High Council”

“I’m sorry the orders are quite specific” Marshall Dacron replied, “Total and utter destruction of the Hadreth order and all offspring”

“Vabalavich was the worst thing to happen to the drow and the Hadreth” the guardian retorted.

“Maybe” Marshall Darcon answered, “But for now the slaughter must be seen to have succeeded”

“And will you avenge this betrayal?” the guardian answered

“You speak of betrayal when we all know that Vabalavich in that alternate timeline did exactly what we believe must be done. Golpin has allowed a mere major to sway his judgement, but as you taught us, we are Hadreth, we lurk, we hide, we bide, we strike”

Suddenly Marshall Dacron swung his sword and sliced of the guardians head, “They are here” he shouted to the drow army, “Hadreth infants, kill everyone. I want to see you stick them on your swords and carry them out to show that nobody betrays the Drow High Council and lives”

The drow soldiers pushed passed into the nursery where they eagerly began their gruesome task.

Marshall Dacron looked down at the decapitated body of his master, “And get rid of that” he ordered another drow soldier.

Those that day when they spoke of how Marshall Dacron lead the campaign against the Hadreth Order had a steely anger about him. They all thought it was because the Hadreth had been about to perpetrate the greatest crime a drow can do, overthrow the Drow High Council. None realised that his true anger lay elsewhere…

+ + +

Deep inside a lava tube
Inter Dimensional World 02

The present Day

Major Bolak and Jaheel, son of Golpin, both drow, stood watching a swirling green vortex as it grew. This was the tell-tale sign of an incoming wormhole that had been generated artificially, instead of by a magical orb.

They were both poised to produce a lethal fireball spell at whatever was coming through the gate from wherever. The suspicion was that it might be from the world where trolls, elves orcs and other races never developed magic, but went down the route of technology.

The two drow had made sure that the human females they had brought along were deeper into the cave system where they should be safe. They were Doctor Charlene Henshaw a particle physicist who had worked with Major Bolak before and Sarah Willows, a mere detention cell receptionist from the British Entity Affairs Directorate.

They were now looking at a possible confrontation with the technological trolls who had captured their world.

+ + +

The Reflecting Pool
Washington DC

Twenty four hours previously

Vice Admiral Walter Quentin watched as a man in a dark coloured suit approached him, presumably he was the one coming for the appointed meeting. Given the nature of what they needed to discuss it seemed odd to have it in a public place, but the voice on the phone had been most insistent.

Walter went to speak to the man, but he ignored him and walked passed.

Obviously he was not the contact.

Walter’s Cell went off.

He looked at who was calling, but it said that the number was withheld.

Walter answered it. The voice just said “The wall” before hanging up.

Obviously they meant the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, so Walter headed over to the memorial. Ironically it was also one of the places he regularly visited when he was in DC, as he would often go and read the names of those he once served with who never made it back from Vietnam.

As Walter approached, there were the usual veterans and relatives who had come to stare, and weep silently at the wall, along with the occasional tourists who had come to gawp at the sight..

Nobody seemed to be there other than the usual visitors and nobody seemed out of place.

As he was there, Walter went to the part of the wall he always visited, see the names of his fallen comrades.

Below one of them was a post it note with the words, “lest we forget – We miss you Daddy”

People would often leave flowers, but a post it note? It seemed so poignant and disrespectful at the same time.

Walter removed the post it note and then noticed on the underside in the adhesive part, was a number written on it in pencil. Being in pencil and not in ink, meant that this number was hidden if you just left it and read the inscription and passed it bye.

Walter took out his cell and dialled the number.

After three rings it picked up and Walter said hello into it. After about ten seconds an electronic sounding voice came over the phone, “The red Ford on Henry Bacon Drive North West” and then the phone hung up.

Walter headed out for the road along the path through the trees to where the car was waiting. For a car it did not look that remarkable, probably why it was picked as the standard black sedan would attract unwelcome attention. By not being an archetypical government agency type car, it was well hidden in plain sight.

The back door was opened from inside, again a nice touch, as a chauffeur would attract too much attention.

Walter got in to the car and closed the door. A man in his fifties in a black suit was his travelling companion

Immediately the engine started and the car drove off into the DC traffic.
“You do not need to know my name” the man in the suit told Walter, “You do not need to know at this juncture”

“Oh really”, Walter remarked, “you guys are more paranoid than we were in the NSA”

“We have every reason to be Vice Admiral” the man in the suit replied, “especially given what has been happening in the United Kingdom recently”
“You mean that terrorist coup against the British government” Walter replied, “I heard that another British ship defected and surrendered to the US the other day” he added
“But no submarines” the man replied

“I’m retired” Walter insisted, “I’m not sure what I can do now”
“You are the nearest we have to a senior member who had dealings with the old IDEC” the man in the suit replied, “We have access to artificial wormhole technology”

“That won’t do you much good” Walter answered back, “You try and open a wormhole to the Mystical Realms and all you will get is a lethal blast of radiation from that hydrogen bomb that detonated between our worlds”

“That’s not the plan Vice Admiral” the man in the suit countered, “It’s not being equipped to go to IDW01”

“What are you talking about?” Walter asked, “IDW02”

“Not that world either Vice Admiral” the man in the suit answered, “You see we have had a pipeline to the British Entity Affairs Directorate for some time, and it has been especially useful since the loss of the Sky guard system”

“Sky guard’s down?” Walter said in surprise

“According to our sources it was taken out” the man in the suit went on, “by creatures from a totally different parallel universe. One in which trolls and elves developed into a technological society rather than the ones who use magic on IDW01”

“But the reports out of England” Walter protested, “indicate that those who have overthrown the British government are definitely human”

“That is correct” the man in the suit replied, “Before we lost our pipeline to the British they reported that there was another set of players”

“Who?” Walter pressed.

“Humans from yet another world, who developed magic” the man in the suit replied.

“How many damn worlds are there?” Walter swore

“Unknown Vice Admiral”, the man in the suit answered, “We are briefed to assess what the threat is and institute counter measures”

The man in the suit then paused, which seemed to Walter ominous, and then added, “Even if that means a co-ordinated nuclear strike on the British Isles”

+ + +

Deep inside a lava tube
Inter Dimensional World 02

Major Bolak and Jaheel stood their ground as the green vortex grew to full size.

“YOU!” Major Bolak exclaimed as he saw the first figure emerge

“And it’s good to see you too Major” the figure replied to Major Bolak as he exited the wormhole.

“You may stand down Jaheel” Major Bolak said to the other drow, “This human is Brigadier General Samuel Peters I have worked with before. He can be trusted”

Just then two pixies came out of the swirling vortex followed by another man of about the Brigadier General’s age, except he was balding and was carrying some kind of device

“So this is what it is like to step onto another world” the balding man remarked as he switched of the device. The green vortex dissipated rapidly

“Major Bolak” Samuel went on, “let me introduce to you Vice Admiral Walter Quentin, former head of the National Security Agency in the US. He was the one that helped appoint my former boss, the late Kathryn Cooper”

“Miss Cooper is dead” Major Bolak replied in faked shocked surprise.

“She was murdered on the orders of a former British industrialist” Walter told the drow, “Who also used to work for the British counter intelligence service MI5”

“That is indeed a great tragedy” Major Bolak replied, “We heard how she was even handed with both elf and drow during the Magnus Timor crisis. She understood that we were more reliable.”, then after a pause and with a smug expression, “I understand it was an elf that time who betrayed us”

“Yes it was” Samuel replied reluctantly

“And a leprechaun as well if recollect my discussions on South Georgia with Shamus McTuckle” Major Bolak went on.

“You made your point” Walter interrupted, “We have more important things to discuss than what happened years back”
“Like what?” Major Bolak snapped back

“The humans who use magic are planning initiate a nuclear war” Samuel interrupted.

“What do they mean by nuclear war?” Jaheel asked
“I know exactly what they mean Jaheel” Major Bolak said to the other drow, “It means our mission to neutralise their magic is an imperative”

“Well you seem to be ahead of us” Walter commented, “The pixies here suggested we approach the drow after we caught them transporting the Brigadier General here to a secure lock up to collect this” he added showing the drow the device he was carrying

“An artificial wormhole generator” Major Bolak replied

“We thought it had been long forgotten” one of the pixies protested, “And we needed it to save your world”

“That is why we didn’t lock you up and court martial the Brigadier General” Walter snapped back.

“I would have asked” Samuel cut in, “but since the IDEC was canned those of us who worked there seemed to be pretty much persona non grata around Capitol Hill”
“And a number of people are now reviewing that policy” Walter replied

“This is all very well” Major Bolak interrupted, “But we are on a mission already to deal with those magic using humans, as you call them. The Drow High Council seems to be, in its infinite wisdom has been as you humans put it, doing a deal with what you call the technological trolls”

“What kind of deal?” Samuel asked with venom

“Simply put, Brigadier General” Major Bolak smiled, “We deal with the magic using humans so they are no longer a threat to the technological trolls, and they leave our world”

“Leaving the drow in charge” Samuel countered

“Oh my” Major Bolak protested, “I am hurt at your unfounded suspicion, you have been speaking to too many elves. In fact Brigadier General, back in this cavern are two of your colleagues, including Doctor Henshaw, she can verify that the Clan Chief of the Manjura has been rescued by myself and as soon as the technological trolls have left, we will ensure his return to rule at Central City”

“What does it matter if they deal with those humans who have overthrown the British government” Walter interjected, “They get rid of a threat for us as well”

“Because Walter” Samuel growled, “Those technological trolls attacked a bio-weapons facility in England to steal some kind of bio weapon that can be used against us”

+ + +

A wilderness cave
The Walong Mountains
The Mystical Realms

Meetal felt uneasy about the silence that descended their quiet cave as he sat at the table between the two trolls, Madron The former Lord Low Troll and his estranged son, Padow, once called the Prince Low Troll, now Clan Chief of the Manjura.

It seemed clear that his former master, the Lord Low Troll wanted to make up for lost time with his son, but the distance between them made the atmosphere heavy and impossible. But Meetal was only a lowly kobold and this was not his place to intervene between father and son.

The clan chief of the Manjura glared across the table at his father, ignoring the presence of Meetal almost.

Almost, because this younger troll had muttered under his breath that if he had had his way, Meetal would be put on trial for what this troll thought were evil crimes.

This troll was so full of hate but so ignorant about how things were back when his master had to rule over races that were almost at each other’s throats!

“I’ll clean the dishes” Meetal offered.

The Clan Chief of the Manjura glared at Meetal and then pushed his half empty plate towards him.

His plate and his master’s plate were empty, no matter what the son did not want could be put on the heap to make feed for the next crop in their mini oasis in the desert.

“So you do not trust drow” Madron spoke up

“Of course not” the Clan Chief of the Manjura snapped back, “They are the arch enemies of our elven allies”

“You never did learn the real reasons why the elves and the drow fell out did you my son” Madron sighed

“I wish you would not call me that” the Clan Chief of the Manjura retaliated, “You have no right because you were no real father to me. You cared more about some troll from the accursed Ghetto tribe than my mother that you refused to marry”

Meetal waited for his master to make a blistering counter attack, but it never came, instead his master just looked down at the table in a sad and forlorn manner.

The Clan Chief of the Manjura was totally wrong, Meetal knew that his master cared about his son, but the politics at the time were complex and labyrinthine. The Clan Chief of the Manjura’s mother was from the Delethon clan, as it was a union to cement an alliance between the two clans.

An alliance shattered when a former Clan Chief of the Delethon betrayed the Clan Chief of the Manjura to human drug dealers who had been sabotaging efforts to end the civil war

His master had been clear, certain elements within the other clans would tolerate him having a child by a concubine of another clan, but a full marriage would have engendered unhelpful plotting. His mast had told him, that he did not want to antagonise those in the Delethon clan by openly giving in to the other clans so had to put on the persona of vanity.

Well it was something like that and Meetal did not really want to pry further, and it was not his place to do so.

Meetal picked up the plates and vanished into the night to clean them as best he could before the suns finally set for the night.

The Clan Chief of the Manjura continued to glower at his father. He could not believe that he was having to follow instruction from a drow. He should be leading the resistance against those troll imposters including that one that looked like him and called himself the Lord High Troll, not cowering away like a Halfling child in a cave far away in a remote wilderness that the other races steered clear of.

“I don’t suppose any apology would ever be enough for you?” Madron asked
“As if you had to ask” The Clan Chief of the Manjura sneered
“I do admire what you did to help keep order” Madron offered

“And without the brutality, cruelty and corruption of your rule” The Clan Chief of the Manjura replied

“I wish it had been so with my time” Madron said quietly, “I think in some ways that civil war was a good thing even if it did mean the death of my twin brother”

“How can you say that?” The Clan Chief of the Manjura said with angry incredulity

“Because the fault lines amongst the clan were finally exposed and I never had to continue to hold them together to ensure the other races did not take advantage” Madron answered, “Once the war had come, all that had burned itself out, you could then reform and reunite the convocation in a way that you did not have to deal with the internecine fighting amongst the troll clans that I had to contend with. If you had been around when I was Lord Low Troll, you would have had to have done exactly the same as I did”

“I was around father” the Clan Chief of the Manjura retorted, “You called me the Prince Low Troll and wanted to groom me to continue your cruelty and savagery, why do you think I went on the patrols dealing with those who would interfere with the world of humans? To get away from you..”

With that the Clan Chief of the Manjura stood up and headed for his assigned bedroom in the cave dwelling.

Madron put his head in his hands and breathed heavily, doing his best not to let the tears flow down his face

+ + +

A Meadow
Location Unknown

Janine Sedlacek seemed to have walked for ages through the large meadow where the pixies had dumped her at the behest of the Brigadier General. She wondered where her former boss at the Entity Affairs Directorate, Drake Matthews had been sent to. Like her she expected he would not be too happy to have been sent away from the action.

Why do Americans insist on being the hero?

Where ever she was it was isolated and remote.

If only the pixies had given her footwear! Janine had had to pick her way through the meadow avoiding branches, stones and other things concealed in the undergrowth.

Again she wondered how her boss was doing.

Were they separated for a specific reason? They were well away from the action, should that not have been enough?

In a few hours the sun would be down.

One Sun, not two! she observed. It was obvious she was on Earth, because the world of the Mystical Realms orbited a binary star system, but where?

Janine called out, again but nobody answered.

Maybe Drake was having better luck!

+ + +

An undisclosed location
Washington DC

Samuel looked around Kathryn Coopers old office, it showed signs of age as it had been a lifetime since he was last here.

“They never did reuse this place after the IDEC was shut down” Walter commented as he came into the room, “All the other agencies had their own offices and there was some kind of foul up about letting it to the private sector. Something about issues concerning high security issues”

“I remember this room” Major Bolak piped up as he walked in with Jaheel the other drow.

“So are they bringing back the IDEC” Samuel asked
“Don’t get your hopes up” Walter replied, “This is the only place secure enough to host our guests here from IDW01 while they figure out how to combat the magic used by those invaders that have captured the United Kingdom.

“Mr Quentin” Jaheel spoke up, “May I ask why you have brought us to this part of the world, when the affected area is virtually on the other side of this world”

“If we gated directly into the land where the magic using humans are” Major Bolak started to reply before Walter could speak, “Then they would detect us there more easily”

“Something like that” Walter added, “Plus, those in charge of the purse strings want a tighter rein on things this time”

“Purse strings?” Jaheel asked Major Bolak quietly
“A human idiom” Major Bolak whispered, “It means those who pay for all this”

“It’s just like before when they closed the IDEC UK section down after the Magnus Timor incident” Samuel remarked

“Yeah something like that” Walter replied

Samuel sighed for a moment, “What’s happening about Miss Willows and Doctor Henshaw”

“I don’t know about Doctor Henshaw” Walter answered, “She may be helping out as from previous reports she turned out to be a capable field agent, although she is not an American citizen, as for Miss Willows, she was just a glorified receptionist, we’ve given her asylum while the UK is under the control of the humans from that other alternate Earth and my old friend Jack Maddox from the FBI is arranging her relocation in their witness relocation programme with the Federal Marshalls”

“This is all very well” Major Bolak interrupted, “But I understand that the Brigadier General indicated there was some urgency as these other humans are attempting to start what you call a nuclear war”

“Good point” Walter replied, “So far a number of British surface warships that were out at sea when the coup happened have surrendered to various governments around the world, including us”

“But no submarines” Samuel asked

“No” Walter replied, “And that’s what’s worrying”

“From what I picked up as a prisoner of this Lord Samail person who looks like me” Samuel went on, “back on their world the people who use magic are the elite who use it to keep the rest of the population under control. They have a hatred of technology as they believe its use leads to democratic ideals that would make it harder for them to supress the rest of their population. They hold that magic is the key to preserving their order and way of life”

“It is understandable why they went to war against the technological trolls” Major Bolak cut in, “they saw their use of technology as a threat, but if I may say so, quite a short sighted view. We drow would make use of both technology and magic to get the job done”

“I bet you would” Samuel muttered under his breath.

“What are submarines?” Jaheel asked

“Types of boat that travel underwater for long periods of time” Samuel answered back

“Jaheel” Major Bolak said in astonishment, “I am surprised you did not know. Even I knew of such human vessels, if I recall it was the intervention of drow of the Hadreth order, before they went into apostasy, who intervened on such an earlier craft to prevent what these humans would call a demon from triggering a nuclear war during what this world called the Cuban Missile Crisis

“Forgive me Major” Jaheel replied, “I did not read up on that bit of my history because of my hatred of the Hadreth. Why should I infect myself with their propaganda and lies?”

“I suspect you also neglected such studies because of your liaisons with a certain human” Major Bolak replied and then went on in a condescending tone, even for a drow “I hate them too Jaheel. That was why I studied all about them in every nauseating detail. As the son of our leader on the High Council, you have a surprisingly lot to learn”

“That’s bye the bye” Samuel interrupted, “I know your main assignment was to neutralise the magic of these other humans as part of a deal with these technological trolls, but it looks like we need to locate these British submarines and remove them from the equation”

“The Brigadier General is right” Walter cut back in, “If these magic using humans are going to use them to start World War II , we need to find them and neutralise them fast”

“The one problem Mr Quentin” Major Bolak replied, “If I recall, your submarines, especially the ones with the trident missile system are designed for stealth”

“You know about Trident?” Walter asked with a hint of concern in his voice.
Major Bolak smiled, “You forget I worked with the Russian Liaison”

+ + +

Central City
The Mystical Realms

Padow was finally packed and ready to go as soon as there was a transit to take him from his temporary home in what he regarded as a backward world to just outside the city gate where the extended wormhole would take him back to his world.

It stuck in his throat that the leader of the troll council had gone behind his back and did a deal with the local drow. How could he even be certain that the drow on this world had the guts to do what they said they could do? The drow on his world were weak, ineffectual and had been another disgusting bunch of human lovers, just like those despicable doppelgangers.

The best highlight of the initial invasion was how those magic using humans had been fooled by the one that had originally been sent with Callum the elf to seize deadly pathogens from the other humans, the ones that used technology like they did. Padow briefly smiled, not that it helped that doppelganger at all, as his death at the hands of the magic using humans was to prove. The magic using humans it seemed had the ability to detect a doppelganger that had shape-shifted. If only his orc scientists had developed that ability

A knock at the door shattered Padow’s thoughts

Padow looked up from the packaging expecting troll guards to help load his cases onto the transport.

It was his arch rival Captain Strang

“You” Padow spat out, “Have you come to gloat too?”

Strang frowned and shook his head in disgust, “The leader of the Troll council had no right to make deals without consulting anyone”

“What?” Padow said in disbelief, “I would have thought we would be one of your patrons on the council”

“Maybe you should have had him assassinated like you had Belgran murdered” Strang retaliated.

“I have no idea what you are talking about” Padow replied with feigned innocent, “If I remember the dwarf investigator said that was just a simple street robbery gone bad”

Strang narrowed his eyes at Padow, it was obvious to him that Padow had had a hand in the murder of one of his supporters on the troll high council, but the lazy dwarfs just wanted to close cases fast. But this was not the time to press this

“We cannot allow the leader of the High council get away with this” Strang said through gritted teeth
“We?” Padow asked
“Yes” Strang answered “This shabby deal with the drow must not be allowed to stand; I hear they want us to allow the humans to live”
“There is only one thing you do with vermin and pestilence” Padow found himself saying
“Eradicate them” Strang said in completion of the sentence.
“We need that bio-weapon” Padow muttered
“Yes” Strang agreed

Padow paused for a moment, “So you are suggesting you and I join forces?”
“I would prefer to say come to an arrangement to work for a common objective” Strang answered.

Padow narrowed his eyes at Strang, Could the actions of the leader of the troll high council really have turned two deadly rivals into allies?

No Way!

“Of course” Padow said slowly and deliberately, “Being the opportunist that you are Strang, you could very well have decided to join up with the leader of the High Council and press for my job”

“Except we both know” Strang went on, “He does not like me either”
“Why he was never a patron of yours” Padow replied
“And why you have not sought to have him murdered like I know you did with Belgran” Strang answered back.

Padow ignored this dig at him. “So, if I were to work with you” Padow asked slowly, “What would you want in return, to be Lord High Troll?”

Strang shook his head, “That would be too obvious” Strang replied, “There would always be one of your sneaky loyalists out to have me dead for taking your throne, all of course, without your knowledge or agreement”

“I have no idea who you might mean?” Padow retorted in a feigned hurt expression

“I’ll tell you what I want” Strang began, “If we can defeat the leader of the high council and overturn this shabby deal with the drow, I want the post of Regent High Troll.

“Regent High Troll has not been used for a hundred and fifty years” Padow said angrily
“Yes” Strang answered, “It was held by Yardel the third while the then Lord High Troll was away crushing the Halfling rebellion in Ashderun province. If memory serves me right he was regent for five years and ran the Manjura empire just as efficiently as the then Lord High Troll”

“But” Padow came back in, “If I remember my history he gladly gave back the power to the Lord High Troll on his return.”

“And lived to a ripe old age unlike the then Lord High Troll” Strang sneered

“So you want Regent High Troll Strang” Padow said after another pause, “Where would you have me sent away to?”

“Here” Strang replied, “As overlord to what the locals here call the Mystical Realms, exploiting the natural resources to rebuild our society back home after we exterminate every last human on both those human infested worlds. You could still have the title of Lord High Troll, that should impress the locals, after all it sounds similar to a previous ruler they used to have, except for some reason he was called the Lord Low Troll”

Padow thought for a moment, “How about you becoming governor of this world, you could then be free to execute the entire city should you be foolish enough to choose to”

“How about I make peace with the leader of the Troll High Council” Strang responded.

Padow frowned, this Strang was indeed an opportunist and a very good one. There would be no way to deal with the leader of the Troll High Council without Strang, and Strang knew it. There had to be another way, but for the moment he could not see it, and Strang was right, the deal with the Drow could not be allowed, especially if it prevented the very necessary extermination of the human menace.

+ + +

The Houses of Parliament
London, England

Sir Timmous of the Zacharan watched as the blue swirling vortex grew in the chamber of what was once called the House of Commons.

As soon as it was its maximum size, out stepped Quaylong, one of the best magic users in the employ of Lord Samail of the Petros lands. As soon as he stepped through the vortex it dissipated.

“My Lord Samail asks how it goes with the plan to institute this Mutual Assured Destruction you spoke of” Quaylong asked

“We have now identified one particular realm on this world most likely to retaliate to a nuclear strike” Sir Timous replied, “It is now a question of waiting for one of their underwater ships to reach the correct position before striking at them”

“Lord Samail was under the impression it would not take as long as it seems to be taking” Quaylong answered

Sir Timmous narrowed his eyes at Quaylong, the tone of what had been said seemed to imply that his patron was turning against him, or someone was poisoning his mind against him.

“It took time to work out where to send the underwater ships of this realm” Sir Timous insisted, “It seems that on this world; allegiances between the different realms are like the shifting sands we can find back home in some costal places”

“I understand Sir Timous” Quaylong replied, “I was just passing on the message from our liege. He is expecting an important visitor to Castle Lodinium, they could either prove a powerful ally or a serious enemy”

“Can I ask who this visitor is?” Sir Timous asked

“I believe it is Lady Sharlane of the Heana-Shores” Quaylong replied

“Her” Sir Timous said with disdain in his voice

“I share your beliefs about that lady my liege” Quaylong replied, “But she does have some hold over some of the other overlords, that is why he is anxious to have something to report”

“And the removal of the threat of this heretic world being used by our troll enemies would weigh heavy in his favour” Sir Timous murmured

“Exactly” Quaylong replied, “The other overlords may be growing inpatient that we have not finally exterminated the troll menace. If the troll technology and accompanying ideals are a threat to our natural order, how much more so would be such, as used by other humans”

“I understand that only too well Quaylong” Sir Timous answered back, “But things took slightly longer than I would wish, but you may tell Lord Samail and Lady Sharlane we will be on track to start a conflict on this world that will show the peasantry why technology is to be shunned in favour of superior magic”

“I will tell him that as soon as I return” Quaylong answered

“You are not returning immediately?” Sir Timous asked

“Not quite” Quaylong replied, “Our liege busies himself with the preparations for Lady Sharlane”

“Oh good” Sir Timous smiled, “If I may trouble you for help with a personal project. To avenge the death of Travis of the Delphi”

“Are you sure you would want to risk all for one wench” Quaylong questioned, “I know she was spirited away to somewhere else, most likely on this world, but will vengeance not be satisfied when she dies due to this mutual assured destruction you speak of”

“That is not sufficient, I want to throttle the very life out of her with my own hands for what she did” Sir Timous said with venom.

“I can help locate her” Quaylong offered, “but I must warn you that many a good knight has come to grief on missions of personal vendetta”

“Just find her and take me to her” Sir Timous growled.

+ + +

The Drow High Council
The Mystical Realms

Golpin came into the council chamber in accordance with the message he had been given about an emergency meeting concerning the invaders from the other world of trolls, but nobody was there!

“Hello” Golpin called out, but all he could hear were the flickering of the torches as they burned through the night.

Then Golpin heard a sound and turned around.

The word “You” was all he could say before a venomous dagger landed in his chest. Quickly he sunk to his knees and keeled over dead.

A shadowy figure came out into the council chamber and quickly walked over to the body of Golpin. He pulled up the right hand of the dead drow and with a sharp blade cut the finger off that had the ring of office.

The shadowy figure then dropped the blade by the body deliberately.

It was Marshall Dacron

“With Bolak’s dagger and Jaheel’s blade” Dacron whispered to the dead drow, “I will make sure your son and that Bolak will be seen as treacherous”

+ + +

A woodland
Location Unknown

Janine had pressed on and had left the meadow and found some woodland trail. The setting sun and the tree cover made things harder to see and more frightening, plus the ground was hard on her feet.

What were the pixies thinking of, dumping her in a wilderness. It may have seemed peaceful and safe to them several hours ago, but now?

She peered into the distance through the trees in vain to see if she could see the lights of some settlement, but her luck was still out.

At least the trail seemed to have been well used.

All Janine could do was press forward.

Suddenly she saw some kind of red dot appearing in front of her, but it was not like the vortices that came from entry into one of her late father’s artificial universes. This was very different.

Then to her horror out stepped the mysterious man with a foil, the one who had been there when her co-worker Kevin had been murdered.

“So wench” the man with the foil said angrily, “there is nobody here to save you now”

To Be continued

Fame, Riches, Adventure, Glory - A Cyber Warrior craves not these things

In Memorium
Wendy (AKA Romantic Old Bird) 1951 - 2008

Last edited by Sticks; 23-12-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Correct image links
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote