View Single Post
Old 30-11-2012, 02:51 PM #18
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Oh dear. Here I am disagreeing with you again. The pair of us are like chalk and cheese
You are overlooking the fact that Gary Barlow has been around for yonks - even he had to start somewhere as a spotty youth and Cheryl Cole was a little chav who wore trackie bottoms and white trainers and had a penchant for punch ups. Jahmene has been around for all but a few weeks. My goodness, give him a chance to draw breath!
We have enough Gary's and Cheryls anyway. Great as they are in their own way, they are 2 a penny. And lets face it, if Cheryl looked like the back of a bus, no one would be saying her voice was 'unique'. It isn't - her voice is weak and mediocre but she looks good and dances good. It's fluff entertainment and it has its place.

Jahmene is nothing like Marcus Collins either. Marcus was light soul/pop - Jahmene is deep and intricate blues/gospel with hints of classical jazz - if he could get the chance to do it like he did with 'At Last' in his phenomenal audition.

And the judges don't notice a thing, and he's been the main favourite all along? Righty ho. Jahmene had one bad show - in bootcamp, and that was it. My ears are definitely of the same caliber as the panel from the music industry.

If he is as shocking a singer as you hear him to be at times and needs vocal coaching why aren't the X Factor 'mafia' (haha) paying massive sums of money to the Mirror and random people to discredit him in case he wins the thing? Eh? Eh? They allegedly do it with Chris (according to you) and he isn't even the favourite. *smirk* I don't think being 'adorable' but a 'hit and miss' singer means a lot when it comes to a big record deal.

Seriously, he has an individual voice that is like nothing the X factor has ever heard before and the judges are licking his ass because they know it. He sings with intensity and passion and light and shade and highs and lows - he has it all. He is an absolute original and I can see why some people maybe don't get it if they are not used to the fusion of a gospel/blues voice adapting to sing the material they are forced to sing. They know they have a unique talent there and they are nuturing it. It won't matter if he wins or not, they will be all over him with a contract anyway. Same with James. He is bloody good too - and if he could sing his own stuff instead of the usual crap forced on them he wouldn't ever have been in the bottom 2.

Not in the opinion of the judges and the bookies and my whole family and my friends (bar two - one who is a Union J fan and another who loved Ella). Jahmene is a fairly insignificant little fellow when he isn't singing. But when he takes to the stage an amazing transformation happens. He commands the space and radiates intensity and passion and love for his craft. I literally can't take my eyes off him when he is singing. He draws me in and attracts me like a moth to a flame. Louis Walsh said that Jahmene is the singer who holds his full attention with every song he sings. He sings his praises more than he does his own acts.
Nicole said she's going to take him to the States because they'd eat him up.
It seems he has the respect and admiration of those who matter...
Wow, you are a whole bunch of annoying it's great that we differ in opinion though, it's nice to read another person's point of view.

Yes, of course they all have to start somewhere, I don't understand why you brought that up - everybody has to start somewhere. Cheryl and Gary, as "two a penny" as you say they are, have more than one attribute that's relevant to the entertainment industry. Gary - singer, songwriter, strong ideas for his own artistic vision. Cheryl - singer, dancer, attractive, has a strong personality that the tabloids love. I think so many people are completely dismissive of Cheryl because it's cool to be anti- what's popular. You know her singing voice as soon as you hear it - it's not the strongest voice in the world and she's not got the best range or power behind it, but it's a unique voice and it sounds good on a pop record. It's the same for Britney Spears - you know her voice immediately, even though it's pretty weak. Yes, of course looks help her, but that's true of everyone in the fame industry. Susan Boyle's appearance was just as important to her rise to fame as it was to Cheryl Tweedy for different, and yet similar reasons. Would anyone be giving Jahmene an outpouring of support if he looked like the back end of a bus? No. He's cute and it works in his favour. Again, it's another moot point - famous people are unique looking, either in a good way or a different way, that's just the way it is.

I do not see what Jahmene brings to the table other than his vocal ability, which in my opinion isn't all that great to begin with. At times he's verging on Johnny Robinson levels of shrill and ridiculous. I'm not comparing Jahmene and Marcus musically, you've missed the point I was making, the point is that they both have a niche that is not going to slot into what's popular today. The music business decides for itself what's popular and what's not, and right now what's popular is dance music, hence the rise of David Guetta, Calvin Harris et al. To break that mold, you have to be absolutely outstanding and also gain media support, and that's not something that is afforded to X Factor contestants. Leona Lewis should be selling out arenas and she's struggling to even score top 10 hits for all of her accolades. What does that tell us? That pop music is fickle and revolves around making chart friendly music. Being a throwback to the '50s kind of act isn't going to cut it. I for one cannot enjoy a Jahmene performance because I don't like his voice and I don't get where he's aiming to be musically. It's a dead end.

You're openly ignoring the performance he gave that, the following week in his VT, he himself said wasn't very good. He's very aware of the mistakes he makes, so I don't know why anyone's refuting what the guy himself has pointed out. He attempts these vocal acrobatics and wobbles all the way up and down to the high notes, but because he hits them, people just disregard the other mistakes because he hits the high note and that impresses people. That's great, but I'm within my rights to criticise his vocal mistakes because it's (supposed to be) a singing show and I want to be impressed and see the formation of a fully fledged popstar. For me, we saw that with Little Mix last year, it was exciting to watch. This year, I don't see it in any of the contestants, not even a little bit. It doesn't matter how great a singer you may or may not be, you need to have that 'x' factor that makes you better than everyone else, and I think the show is pushing Jahmene to be that person because it's a better alternative than Chris Maloney, whom they are sabotaging for that precise reason. They don't want to be tied into a recording contract with Christopher who they can't market to little kids, their target demographic. It's just good business sense. They're more likely to be able to do that with Jahmene because of his age, but it's a lost cause like Joe McElderry, his is a voice which belongs on a stage but not in the pop charts. Matt Cardle did a much better job of hitting high notes than Jahmene ever has with far greater power and skill, with just as much passion and intensity and whatever other words you wish to use to describe singing. I didn't like Matt either. He was impressive, but he wasn't a pop star. That's what the X Factor should be about - creating a pop star.

James Arthur and Union J are a lost cause because they've been in the bottom two, as far as winning goes, hence the disparaging articles about Chris and the constant arse licking of Jahmene even when he's not as fantastic as they make him out to be. What other alternative do the show bosses have? You're crazy if you don't think the X Factor uses and abuses the media at its discretion! They manipulate it as much as possible without actually cheating to get the result they want. They absolutely do not want Chris to win so they're backing the only other horse in the race, Jahmene. They thought they were fine before because Ella and James looked like the other favourites, but when that bottom two happened, it changed everything. Notice the timing of these stories about Christopher. Why didn't these serious allegations appear until after Ella had gone home? They are scared he's going to win. I hope he does. It'll serve them right for trying to mess with the public.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote