Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It makes the show itself and the brand look ridiculous - shows like Jersey Shore and Made In Chelsea can be taken more seriously nowadays than BB, honest truth. So having a tackyfest like BOTS isn't helping.

Also, BBLB managed just fine for 10 years without the need to be overly camp.
I see Big Brother (in the UK at least) as a cult show nowadays anyway, and BOTS is certainly a niche show. Anyone I know that does still watch BB doesn't watch BOTS, and I don't think that's out of knowing what it's like, but because they're just casual viewers and don't have much interest in a spin-off show. To be honest thinking back it was probably the same for BBLB and Big Mouth, I rarely spoke to anyone about what happened on them as opposed to what happened on the main show, and this was in the show's prime.

For that reason I really don't think it matters what BOTS is like. As long as the eviction shows remain free of circus dancers, the highlights drop Marcus' OTT shouty narration and weird unnecessary graphics throughout tasks, then it'll be fine. X Factor, BGT, shows like that are all produced and edited slickly and professionally...but their spin-off shows are informal and childish, but that's what they're supposed to be.

And I disagree that BBLB wasn't camp

Things like that were a daily occurrence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregard View Post
A show can be casual but upmarket at the same time. Something like "The Apprentice: You're Fired" seems about the right balance.
I get your point but there's a bit of a difference between the likes of X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, I'm A Celebrity and Big Brother to The Apprentice. The latter is supposed to be a more upmarket business show (I know it's not really nowadays but it is still vastly different to the rest of the shows I listed), the others are reality/talent shows...slight difference in audience and style.

Xtra Factor has Olly and Caroline do running jokes about her tits and his cock, Britain's Got More Talent has a game in which its catchphrase when shouted is supposed to end up sounding like a rude word (last year it was RANKER, this year it's MASTERATER). BBLB with Dermot as I said had him dress up in girls clothes, as Kylie Minogue, prance around to silly songs, have pointless props on set for them to do some interview segment with Davina or family/friends of the housemates. All these kind of shows are tacky and camp, that's the appeal of them, that's what they set out to do. People on here know how much I hate the silly editing of the main show, and the cabaret dancers they had for the launch last year, but Bit On The Side's appeal for me is all about its crude, irreverent, camp, mocking, tacky style. I know it's trash TV but it doesn't try and present itself as anything else, it's very self-aware.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote