View Single Post
Old 23-01-2014, 05:33 AM #42
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman! View Post
Well as I said to Jack there was no intention to be sexist, it's this country's values. If their comments were sexist then it's in a really really really indirect way so you can't put that label on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
I understand what you're saying and I think it's important to make a distinction here actually, what Liz said isn't the kind of blatant and knowing sexism where you think and truly believe the unequal views that you're saying - it's casual sexism (and this exists a hell of a lot against women) - ideas, beliefs, traditions (like you said) that exist in our every day lives that nobody really thinks about properly and we're all brought up to act that way, but all of which are, well...sexist in nature. To distinguish certain behaviours and actions as only acceptable to either men or women is unequal and that's sexism, not willing and knowing sexism yes but it's still sexist

And no of course it's not as important on that I definitely agree, there aren't enough women in politics and there's a sh*t load of revolting societal beliefs about the way in which women should behave that don't apply to men (some of which have been raised this series) amongst many other issues - like I said I'm not one of these people that cries misandry whenever feminist ideas are raised, but there are still distinctions made between male and female behaviour and the concepts of both masculinity and femininity are ones which really do need to be eradicated as soon as possible
..I agree with Jack, there may not have been any intent to be sexist but that doesn't make it 'not sexism' because it is...I think the thing is about 'intent' is if it's used as a reason/excuse etc, it starts to become complicated because it's a lot of people's thoughts that Jim is a 'product of his time/era..'...so there's no intent there either, yet he's still often sexist....but also if we're going to excuse that he 'can't help it..' in that it's just how it was when he was younger...then we have to start allowing 'excuses' for other people as well...yeah, complicated...I think that to a degree, there is often sexism in BB, which isn't always picked up on but for me it's only when it's quite blatent, that it really bothers me and the main part of that for BB in general and other series..is how females do get criticised more/called more derogatory names etc for being sexual behaviour than males....

Last edited by Ammi; 23-01-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote