View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 PM #14

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman
I'maCeleb2013: David Emanuel

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman
I'maCeleb2013: David Emanuel

I'm really glad to see the appreciation for Big Brother 13 not just here but on other internet forums as well, and I would make the argument it's gone the same way as BB10 in by a criminally overlooked higher tier series in my eyes.

In many ways I see this series as a defining one for the direction of the channel 5 era of the show, we saw with BB12 that initially production did visualize the show as more tween orientated and targeting the youth audience overtly only to get a negative backlash for it, with 13 we got something of a hybrid cast as it were, yes these tween type housemate did return but they were mixed with the diverse casting choices more akin to a C4 series, particularly with people like Adam and Luke A which in my eyes wouldn't have gotten anywhere near BB12 IMO. It is quite apt that the divide of the house seemed to fall roughly around those lines as well, and the argument could be made that the unanimous support for the outsiders lead to C5 going for the C4 esque BB14 cast.

I think the insiders vs outsiders story arc was one of the best house splits we've seen on the show as well, B Block vs the Whisper Club was good but suffered from B Block at times have issues with self-righteousness which was at times off-putting whilst BB10 gets harmed due to the arguably villainous group coming out on top, the outsiders however were perfect protagonists, the oddball bunch of eccentrics united out of necessity manage against the odds to overthrow the powerhouse insiders to take the win, but doing so in an engaging and likable way. Deana of course was the star of the series but was backed up by the likes of Lydia who is one of BB's underrated stars, Adam, Luke and Lauren who were very rootable if maybe not allstar worthy and on the other side a good panto baddie in Caroline as well as Becky's demise which was a good story arc. Conor's actions and the 50k do spoil proceedings, but even then you could make the argument that the White room was the perfect ending to his arc, what better way for one of BB's biggest scumbags to depart then for him to pull off the biggest scumbag move in BB history to his best friend?!

All in all BB13 is a great series which has thankfully gotten more acclaim and I hope continues to do so, I'd certainly rate it as the highest C5 civilian series.

Last edited by karl100589; 02-03-2014 at 09:30 PM.
karl100589 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote