View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 11:17 PM #1

Default Deana loses BB13 libel case against Conor, Endemol UK and C5

Quote:
Big Brother star Deana Uppal loses libel case against fellow contestant Conor McIntyre

Apr 09, 2014 15:05
By Mike Lockley

Stunning reality star Deana Uppal has lost her bitter court battle for damages after being dubbed “a piece of sh*t” by a fellow Big Brother contestant.

The Walsall beauty queen’s 2012 stint in the Channel 5 house sparked a bullying storm, with Deana dubbing her stay on the controversial show “the worst days of my life”.

She sought libel damages from housemate Conor McIntyre, production company Endemol UK Ltd and Channel 5.

But High Court judge Mr Justice Dingemans ruled the taunts aimed at the former Miss India UK were not defamatory.

The court did denounce a foul-mouthed rap by Mr McIntyre - spawned after accusations Deana had used an epilator on the kitchen table, leaving leg hairs behind - as “vile abuse”

The treatment 25-year-old actress Deana received in the house sparked 1,000 complaints to TV watchdog Ofcom.

It also earned series winner Mr McIntyre, who scooped £50,000, a dressing down in the diary room, where he was reprimanded for “unacceptable language and behaviour”.

Mr McIntyre said at the time he understood the seriousness of his actions “100 per cent”, but Mr Justice Dingemans commented: “It might be noted that, notwithstanding that exchange, Mr McIntyre did not look particularly contrite”.

Deana also took exception to a comment made by another housemate, Scott, about an Indian takeaway, a remark she felt implied she was “socially or intellectually inferior”. He later apologised.

After exiting the house, Deana told the Birmingham Mail: “The programme-makers were supposed to support and protect me but I don’t feel that happened.

“I did say a few times in the diary room that I wanted to leave. But I thought I’d worked so hard to get to this stage, that I would try and battle through it.

“It was tough, but I’ve been through a lot over the years, after losing my dad and growing up with just me and my mum.

“I’ve had so much support from people on the outside. I wanted to show people I’m not stuck up. I worried that everyone hated me outside the house, but they didn’t.

“My lowest point was in the first three weeks. A lot of the housemates decided at the beginning that they didn’t like me. I just couldn’t understand why.”

However, Mr Justice Dingemans brought the legal case to a shuddering halt by ruling none of the words spoken were capable of bearing the meaning Deana put upon them.

Striking out Deana’s defamation claims, the judge said: “Neither of the broadcasts was capable of bearing the meanings alleged by Miss Uppal, or any other meanings defamatory of her.”

Deana - a rising star in India - made no reference to the court decision on her twitter stream.

One post read: “Learnt a very expensive lesson today to ALWAYS trust your own instincts.”

• Conor McIntyre caused a media meltown with his tirade after Deana failed a task.

He shouted: “Get your epilator and stick it up your ****. We don’t give a ****! Stick it, stupid b*****d. I’m gonna play loads of pranks on her. ****ing piece of sh*t. I don’t give a **** if I’m pulled up to the Diary Room.”

Over 350 people complained immediately after the episode was aired and a further 700 contacted Ofcom in the following days.

In a statement, Channel 5 stressed: “Conor’s behaviour was not condoned by Big Brother or any of the housemates”.

But it added: “Having spoken to Conor, and bearing in mind our duty of care to the other housemates, we are satisfied that he should continue to participate in the programme.”
I didn't know about this court case. Housemates are suing each other now?
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote