View Single Post
Old 22-07-2014, 12:33 PM #7
-

-

In my opinion, teaching in this country MUST become better paid, have more benefits, require a higher level of qualification and be generally much harder to get into.

It needs to REQUIRE more intelligent people, and have the clout to attract those eople away from higher pay in the private sector.

Because - quite simply - far too many of the people teaching our children, and reaching high levels in the education system such as heads-of-department and even head teachers, are just plain ****ing thick. Blind checkbox ticking idiots with absolutely no ability to think creatively or outside the box. THAT is why our system is failing so badly... not because we need "more hours in school" or whatever other nonsense the government spouts.

I know it's controversial to say so, but our education levels are slipping because our stock of teachers simply aren't good enough. I'm not by any means saying that ALL teachers are incompetent. Some are excellent, and sadly, those excellent teachers are often overlooked for higher positions because they're not full of hot-air like the ones who do progress. I'm also not saying it's the teachers' fault rather than a fault of the system - it IS a fault of the system that people who aren't intellectually equipped to be "educating" anyone are able to get into teaching. Many of them simply shouldn't be there. It should be a standard that is out of their reach.

Note: This also isn't government / recession-bashing... this was a problem since I was at school. At the very least. In fact I don't think it's a problem that's been created at any point at all... teaching standards have simply NEVER been what they should and could be. Not since the very first modern school opened its' doors.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote