View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 06:22 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 View Post
Im currently going through a bit of a ****ty spell with a close friend who has sadly become addicted to pain killers and sleeping pills (4 years). What makes me sad is none of us friends knew she was suffering with depression and anxiety and im finding it hard to understand why she didn't choose to confide in any of us. Her supplier has stopped selling so she was forced to come clean with the doctors or would have been seriously ill from withdrawal.

She works hard so I suggested possibly paying for an intense rehabilitation facility but whatever she was earning went straight to the guy dishing out these pills....So angry. I went to talk to my gp about it (who now probably thinks im an addict) and asked if councelling was available to patients for free on NHS or groups and I was told no. Please tell me this is not the case meaning she only has 2 weeks to pull herself out of a huge hole.

Ive been through this numerous times with a family member who suffers a serious mental illness but never with such a close friend who is going to have to rely on us heavily im sure.

I want to be there for her but not make her feel baby sat.
xx
I have worked with addicts and alcoholics in a rehab facility and just want to share a couple of points with you for your own safe-guarding.

Your friend needs to see someone about coming off whatever she was taking safely.

Many addicts become very devious about their addiction so I am not at all surprised to hear this problem was not shared with friends and family. Many addicts are in denial about the extent of their problem and often become dismissive about the severity of the problem, that is, if they accept they have a problem in the first place.

Addiction and the drive to obtain a "fix" alters behaviour. You may find a pattern of lying, stealing and deception and plenty of justification for wrong doing when they think they are being discovered.

Keep an eye on small valuables and money and don't enable the addictive behaviour. To be a good friend to an addict means having to say no a lot of the time.

The desire to kick a habit has to come from the addict. It only comes once the addict accepts he/she has a problem and has the desire to change. Sometimes this never happens successfully and sometimes it takes a number if admissions before the addict finally co-operates successfully and comes clean. Friends can be supportive during the period of rehabilitation but the real work has to be done by the addict. Good luck, it's difficult being a friend or family member of addicts. Addicts disappoint friends a lot and many are abandoned by friends in the end.

Be supportive but don't be a mug.
Angelika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote