Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Boyhood gets an average rating of 9.21/10 based on 12 reviews. People that haven't watched it and rated it yet still can, I'll just edit their score in once they do.

Reviews:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Boyhood Review :

Spoiler:

I actually didn't know alot about this film before watching it only that I'd heard it was good so I was surprised that they used the same actors to play (all the characters) but obviously more interestingly the kids in the film. So it's definitely very unique, i read afterwards it took them 12 years to make it? That's amazing

In theory it sounds like a pretty boring film just following a boy around from age 5 doing all the normal kind of things kids do growing up but I really really enjoyed it, you almost felt like you got to watch someones whole childhood and what made them the people they are, play out right in front of you.

The last scene with his mother when she had a bit of a meltdown at him packing up for college made me a bit sad and I could really relate to what she was saying

Anyway, I loved this movie, it was so different from anything I've ever seen, so simple eventhough it was probably pretty complicated for them to make it over that stretch of time

9/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I re-watched this today.

It's a marvel of a film, the fact you see the actors grow up before your eyes is amazingly strange. It must have been a logistical nightmare to handle but I think that all that presumed hassle that the crew went through to make this film was worth it. It's very close to being a perfect film. Rewatching it did highlight some things for me that I wasn't keen on though, I felt like we knew the core family thoroughly but most of the other characters are basically throwaways, which is understandable as it'd be a nightmare to organise periods of filming over 12 years for actors other than the core family. Also I think some of the pop culture references were a little forced and clumsy, we could tell simply by looking at the actors that time had passed so we didn't need things like the small scene about Lady Gaga to mark the passing of time. It also does tend to drag near the end, I think they could have cut the last 10 minutes or so and the ending would have still had the same effect.

Aside from that (which is basically nitpicking anyway). It's damn near perfect. The acting is great and the story felt very authentic. It's a very well made film and an achievement. I do hope it get recognised during awards season.

9/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
It was long but worth it,didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did when I read a bit about it. Liked watching the characters grow up in front of us.Great film and thought the acting was perfect

8/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke. View Post
Boyhood - 10/10

One of the very few films I'd give a 10 to. I think they got the balance perfectly between time spend on childhood and adult life, and I really liked the small references like the Gaga video and the Soulja Boy song, not necessarily to let us know what year they were in but just because it made it more realistic that the characters would have came across these things, because I'm pretty sure EVERYONE did. I loved the conversation between the kid and the dad as well about if they'd ever make a new Star Wars movie, because obviously they are now making one. Ethan Hawke was brilliant as he always is in these types of movies (the 'Before' franchise is quite similar) and I hope he keeps doing them, Patricia Arquette was also great as where the two kids and the guy playing the abusive step father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGoth View Post
The idea behind the film is breathtaking. I really hope that more people make movies like this. It's almost like one of those shows were they visit a group of people every few years.

As mentioned by Locke, one of the highlights is the ordinariness of the conversations. Most movies are very plot focused and kinda keep you moving relentlessly along. This was the opposite, it's kinda meandered across years and allows you to just enjoy the lives of other people.

Lastly I thought it ended at perhaps the perfect point. Brilliant movie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph View Post
It really was flawless 10/10 will give a proper review later. Probably the only movie that could get a 10 from me really was kinda beautiful
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
LukeB's Rating - 9/10

It was a long film,I didn't expect to like this film to be quite honest with you all, but I actually loved this film.Good casting and a good storyline! I would recommend this film too my friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew. View Post
Was just about to head off to bed but decided to give it a watch instead, great decision in the end. It was interesting to see the stages throughout childhood in a movie using the same person/people throughout. It was kind of horrible to see him going from the shy innocent kid straight to the rebel type teen with the piercings and smoking but it was good to see him soon snapping out of it all and getting on with life again. In the end it felt like we had watched him growing over a much longer period than 12 years. Brilliant movie though, never watched anything like it before.

10/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake. View Post
Finally got round to watching this this morning, and I'm glad that I did. A different take on a film about growing up, I felt really connected with these characters much more than what I do in other films. Seeing Mason falling into a bad phase but then coming out on top was rewarding as well. Yeah, for a film of its length, it managed to keep my interest.

8/10
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Boyhood - 10/10

loved it instant classic. Ridiculously ambitious, but refreshingly down-to-earth and loveable and relatable and endearing. It made me feel pretty sad just because the film's main bond seemed to be the father/son one, and I've missed out on that, but it was sweet.

From the original list of 18, 11 have so far watched. Glenn and Shaun have both said they still intend on watching but the other 5 are all in deep trouble, I will be paying them a visit soon.

1. Locke
2. Drew

3. Glenn
4. Shaun
5. LukeB
6. Morrissey
7. Jake
8. Raph

9. MTVN
10. Livia

11. Karl
12. Lucas

13. LeatherTrumpet
14. Marc

15. GypsyGoth
16. Dezzy

17. Ammi
18. Niamh

I'll use that random number generator in a minute out of the 11 that have so far watched to see who picks the second movie (so outta 10 really, cos Raph has already picked)

Last edited by Locke.; 17-11-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote