View Single Post
Old 16-11-2014, 03:30 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Starving yourself to death is not the same as being executed by the state. You can mince your words as much as you want mate but if your bloodlust extends to executing people or bumping them off and then falsifying evidence to make it look like they killed themselves as you said earlier then congratulations you just stooped 'almost' as low as they did. That's without even going into how that system would be open to abuse at government level.
It's nothing personal Kylle - just a difference of opinion.

He died as a result of going on a hunger strike for his 'cause' and while it is different to actually being executed by the state, I used it merely to illustrate my point of view about 'Martyrs' because he was immediately hailed as one by the IRA, but it did not result in masses of recruits to their cause, nor did it affect the terrorist war one iota, and the memory of this 'Martyr' was very short lived outside the hard core of fanatics within his organisation.

I make no apologies for my view that the bastards should be covertly tortured in order to extract information, because such information could potentially save thousands of innocent lives as well as enable this war to end early in our favour.

As to bloodlust, then if that is what I am accused of so be it, but in my opinion it is these evil madmen who have the bloodlust, and I prefer to just regard myself as a realist who 'has seen' the terrifying future if we do not abandon our sense of civilised, moral superiority, and start doing whatever it takes to comprehensively defeat these evil lunatics.

The difference between 'us' and 'them' is that they are so warped that they are willing to die to achieve their aims. This being so, we should ensure that once captured these bastards should indeed die -but to help us achieve our aims instead of theirs.

In my view I am not an alarmist - just a realist, and just as my viewpoints are regarded by some as 'radical' , I am equally perplexed by their viewpoints. In fact, I am reminded of the British 'Raj' dressed to the nines in Tuxedos and cummerbunds, and pearls and evening dresses, in the Raffles Hotel in World War 2 Singapore. When the first gunfire sounded as the Japanese advanced, they danced on - convinced that no such horrors could ever encroach upon their 'oh so civilised' world. I wonder how many times they rued such complacency while they were being daily abused by their Japanese captors in Changi POW camp - those who survived anyway.

Anyway, we are all entitled to our points of view and this is mine.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote