Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodog View Post
Word like 'n----r' and 'p--i' have an obvious history of offence attached to their use, and it is generally agreed upon now to avoid using them.

My fear is how we could very easily find ourselves being unable to describe any racial or social differences for fear of being branded 'offensive'.

One person could take offence to the word 'Caucasian' or 'Geordie' or 'Leftie'. Does that mean we should ALL stop using them altogether?

I agree it's all about context. Only if there is malicious INTENT behind the use of words - then there is a problem. Words themselves alone have no power.

Ken had no malicious intent in his use of the word 'negro' when recalling his story about Frank Bruno. If anything the joke was on his own 'whiteness' by calling himself 'Lord Fauntleroy' in asking Frank to turn his rhythms down.

Yet Perez can shout 'disgusting pig' in Ken's face with full malicious intent to cause upset and it is not considered as offensive as Ken's comedy use of a term which is still socially acceptable (see my wikipedia link above).

I understand BB are on eggshells but who is calling the shots?

We can all take offence to one thing or another - does it mean we should all censor ourselves into a corner, afraid and unable to say anything?

Who knows, in 20 years time - people might be arrested for saying 'shut up' or 'idiot' or 'i don't like you' because someone got offended. Will that be progress?
Perez, as soon as Jeremy was sent packing, he saw an opportunity to get rid of Ken, and he and "call the police" Nadia made sure it happened.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote