View Single Post
Old 18-01-2015, 06:34 PM #16
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I vote too, I'm not saying people shouldn't, I'm just saying that it is a demonstrable fact that young people WILL go out and vote if the politics is vibrant and inspiring. It happened 6 months ago. The reason for young people not voting isn't because they can't do it on their iPhone. Westminster politics is stale and voter turnout across the board - not just young people - is abysmal as a result. People don't feel engaged, they don't feel like their vote matters, because Westminster feels like an "ivory tower" with the shutters firmly closed to outside influence of any kind.
Surely then kids should be introduced to politics properly in schools. Westminster, far from being an ivory tower, is open to the public. You can approach your MP for a visit, and even sit in on Prime Ministers Questions if you're lucky. There are always schools and groups of visitors trooping round the Commons.

I don't understand why, because voting is low with the young, that we have to brighten it up to encourage them to vote. I'm sure in the future texting and all kinds of methods will be brought in the way postal votes were, and now in my constituency something like 25% of votes cast are postal votes. As someone well versed in election law I've got to say, it would be a nearly impossible job to make sure there was no tampering or other monkey business because you can lock and seal a ballot box, you can you can't do that with a text.

Last edited by Livia; 18-01-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote