View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 08:14 AM #17
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Yet another atrocious act of evil by these Islamic extremist monsters against yet another innocent, helpless human being, and yet another trio of posts on a thread specifically about this act of barbarism, which make no comment about it and makes no condemnation of it, but instead attacks the Japanese with unwarranted and unfounded accusations of racism and xenophobia.
Hmmm OK most of that is actually fair enough, looking back. I should have at least included acknowledgement that I do agree that another innocent person being murdered is horrific. Of course it's horrific. It almost goes without saying. It's not like I read the thread and didn't think it awful - I just find very little worth in simply posting on a thread to offer up another "me too", "me too", "and me" post and then something else catches my eye and I go off on a tangent.

I can actually appreciate, on reflection, that there's an issue of it not being the "time or place" to go on such tangents and so for that I apologise.

I will even therefore accept "unwarranted" even, given that this was an inappropriate thread.

However, now that it's out there, I have to reiterate again that it is not "unfounded" at all. I actually love Japanese culture, have done since my early teens... It is a unique and fascinating culture: a beautiful mixed bag of the very traditional and the ultra modern. It is however, nothing at all like Western culture. In this world, that usually means "backwards". With Japan, it genuinely just means "totally different". Also, my best friend's brother studied and worked there for 3 years, I've heard many first hand accounts from him, again not scathing - you won't meet anyone who loves Japan more - just fascinating.

I would recommend anyone to do some reading and study on Japan, both historical and modern. You won't regret spending time learning about the country. Like I said, I adore Japanese culture, I am certainly not slating or attacking the Japanese. But if you do happen to properly look into it... I absolutely promise you that you will encounter lots (and lots) of discussion about the issues with diversity and acceptance within Japan. It's not an attack, it's just a fact. Japan is nearly 99% Japanese by birth and the small communities of Chinese and Koreans that make up almost the whole of the extra % are not well accepted or integrated. Muslim population is 0.0005%. Again though, people are free to check all of this out for themselves? There IS an issue with Xenophobia within Japan. This is NOT and attack or a condemnation, it's a simple observation. Again I will conceed though - wrong place and time to have commented on it.

Quote:
Just for the record: This is not a personal attack on you, but merely legitimate comment on the nature and content of your posts.
Yes Kirk I appreciate that, you managed to completely avoid name-calling! Perhaps we are evolving.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote