BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Leaving the EU would be an absolute disaster for many businesses, Farage's claims that he would fund certain things with the money "saved" by not being in the EU are utterly naive. That money would be swallowed up fivefold in lost trade. The immigration issue is a complete red herring, too, EU migration is not the huge drain on the economy that it is made out to be. Even for the anti-immigration squad... It's not a solution. The immigrants that most people have a problem with are the effniks and the Evilmooslims and relatively very few of those migrate from within the EU.

There are, evidently, massive flaws with the way the EU works but the focus should be on identifying and fixing the worst of those problems before abandoning the idea completely. Don't throw the baby out with the EU bathwater just because David Cameron has been exceptionally weak in Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I am for being in the EU, as are all my family too.

I believe we are there and need to be there as a full member,All govts; have signed treaties and that is the fact, they are signed.
We just should get on with it now and do all we can to reform the EU from the inside,since outside we would have no influence.

This govt; put in place legislation that if any new treaty comes forward from now, then the voters will be asked in a referendum if the govt; should sign such treaty.

I support Labours plan which is exactly that legislation I posted above but in addition, they have said if a treaty came forward that now involved any transference of legislative power from the UK to the EU then that would trigger from them an in/out referendum.

I have never seen the point of Cameron saying this needed to be settled but waiting 2 and a half years until the election to even start any re-negotiations, and then take another 2+ years to do that and hold a referendum by the end of the 3rd year of his govt;
All conditional on 'if' he got an overall majority

I think it would be an economic disaster and also a status disaster for the UK to leave the EU and to have cofusion and uncertainty running for nearly 5 years from this PM is plain ridiculous.
So I would never in fact support leaving the EU and clearly would never vote in a referendum to do so.

That to me would be dangerous politics and dangerous for the UK as a whole too.
I also believe the voters would never be able to get an informed debate or relevant information from the media we have, as to the EU, in order to make a fully clear minded and balanced decision as to the EU.

Any new tranfers of powers would be a possib lestep too far now and in those circumstances,I would agree a referendum could be held.
I would still myself vote to stay in however.
Agree with these two. I'm a bit of a Europhile really and don't even like the idea of a referendum on the EU never mind leaving it
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote