View Single Post
Old 30-07-2015, 10:27 AM #22

Ribena comes out of a laboratory. The manufacturers of ribena are GlaxoSmithKlyne, the same company who also manufacture prescription drugs.

https://whatareyourchildreneating.wo...ly-advertised/

Ribena and its many variants are a mum’s favourite. “Rich in vitamin C”, “endorsed by the British Dental Association”, “kind to teeth”, are all claims that would have us believe Ribena is actually good for our children. But less advertised are the lawsuits against the manufacturers for their many false claims.

They claim that ‘the blackcurrents in Ribena have four times the vitamin C of oranges’ Ribena has NO detectable level of vitamin C. The manufacturers were sued for thousands over that lie, facing 88 counts of false advertising. They eventually pleaded guilty to 15 charges of breaching fair trading laws.
A study conducted by the Australian Consumers’ Association for Choice magazine in January 2007 revealed that blackcurrant juice only constituted 5% of the product with the rest being a processed concentrate.

Ribena Toothkind (endorsed by the British Dental Association), has in fact been found to contain a significant amount of sugar, and has been banned from using the claim: “discourages tooth decay”.

Loopholes in the law make it possible for the manufacturers of drinks like Ribena to advertise “Sugar-Free” even when they contain sugars. In fact, “Ribena contains 8 teaspoons of sugar per 330ml bottle. This makes it more sugary than Coke.”

Its just an unhealthy and misleading product that has been formulated in a laboratory and the only Ribena Tesco is removing is the small cartons aimed at children.

Tesco is nothing more than a food retailers and as such, has the right to put what ever it wants on its shelves.

I don't normally shop at Tesco because its a mile further than my local supermarket but because I strongly support their stand on misleading labels, I will be driving that extra mile in future and buying my groceries from them. Tesco are not removing mini cartoned Ribena because they are being awkward but because they see it for what it is...misleading.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 30-07-2015 at 10:29 AM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote