View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 02:11 PM #336
Namaste

Namaste

Scream 2:
9/10

I honestly think Scream 2 is better than the original (which I especially enjoy saying about a film that included a whole scene dedicated to discussing how horror sequels are crap). Making a sequel to a movie as highly-regarded as Scream was a massive risk, but I think it paid off and then some. I love how they weren't afraid of overriding the original movie's happy ending for the few survivors by offing one of them in this one (and not just any, but the one who served as a sort of surrogate for the audience themselves). Randy's mid-movie murder was a bold move, and one I'm glad they made (as much as I loved Randy).

I also think the mystery element of Scream 2 surpassed that of the original. I found the reveals of Mickey and Debbie Salt (and then the subsequent reveal of her true identity) to be much more satisfying than the reveals of Billy and Stu. Mickey was kind of a Stu-esque character, but a more reigned back version so his reveal as a psychopath still works as a swerve I find.

Of course, the main reveal is that of apparent comic relief character Debbie Salt (who I loved throughout the whole movie by the way ) not only being the mastermind behind the slayings, but the mother of Billy Loomis. Even though I've seen this movie a good few times and know it's coming, I always absolutely love the scene of her reveal and the drastic change from the persona she's been using throughout the film and her true psychotic nature. Also, giving the new killer a real link to the original murders, rather than it just being a random copycat, was a great angle.

I know that the original ending was different but was re-written due to a script leak (Mrs Loomis was still the main killer but her accomplices were Derek and Hallie instead of Mickey). While Hallie being in on it would have been really cool (and I honestly wish they kept that in), I'm glad they didn't go down that route with Derek. The original already had the apparent red herring boyfriend be the killer, the sequel needed to do something different so I'm glad they did in the end.

What I want at the end of a whodunit story is to feel satisfied with the answers I got, and Scream 2 absolutely satisfied me. It also delivered in the slasher department. To be honest, as far as mystery slashers go, it's pretty close to perfect.

Rankings:
1. Scream 2 (9/10)
2. Scream (8/10)
3. Friday the 13th (7/10)
4. House of Wax (6.5/10)

Last edited by Lostie!; 05-10-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote