View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 03:41 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
"Disgusting"? No, probably not that far...

But I do think that a good person can be a bad partner. In two different sorts of circumstances. Some people are just not compatible in a relationship and yet still love each other and want to be together - to each other, they won't be "good partners", if each has a different set of priorities. It doesn't make either one right or wrong.

In the second circumstance... some people are just not emotionally equipped to be in a healthy relationship. That could be temporary, or it could just be a part of their overall character. It doesn't necessarily make them a bad person. Those sorts of people are probably best suited for short / casual relationships, though.

So yeah... a bad partner can still be a decent person. A lot of it stems from selfishness and unhappiness - certainly, that's the root of most cheating... it's not actually intended to hurt anyone, it's just placing someone elses' feeling beneath your own, which isn't "good", but EVERYONE does that in different ways at times.

Of course... outright abuse, either physical or verbal, which is unambiguously intended to harm the other person or damage them emotionally (rather than that being a side effect of another intent) is another matter. Someone who is an abusive partner is not a nice person, in any way.
I agree with this^

My other half got on really well with one of his work collegues until we all went out for dinner one night. As he introduced his wife he said, "This is Annie, she's a bit fat and very smelly but she's nice really". My husband was so disgusted with that introduction that he decided this guy was not a nice person. I reminded him that although he didn't like the way he introduced his wife, his wife seemed to find it quite funny (though she may of been embarrassed) and therefore he shouldn't be judgemental.