View Single Post
Old 27-04-2016, 10:57 AM #68

The Usual Suspects:

Spoiler:

Watched 'The Usual Suspects' last night and it was the second time I've seen it, the first time was a few years ago and I remember loving it. Watching it again, I still loved it, but it's the kind of film where a second viewing is a completely different experience.

There are so many small moments that I enjoyed this time that you can't appreciate on first watch without knowing the ending but aside from those, it just made me appreciate how cleverly written and structured it is. The fact that they have Kint (Spacey) narrating the story is what makes the ending such a surprise because when a movie is narrated, there's almost an unquestionable trust associated with that. You would never think that the narrator is actually lying to you the whole time and telling you a completely false version of events because that's what movies have taught us, so when the rug is pulled up at the end it makes it all the more surprising, which is what sets this apart from the usual type of 'twist ending' movie. I'd go as far to say that it's one of my (if not my absolute) favourite plot twists in any movie, because not only is it so brilliantly executed but it makes you reconsider every scene and every line of the film. Every character, every motivation behind their actions. Just the whole thing! It almost a demands a rewatch so I'm glad I finally have.

It's also quite an odd experience watching it for a second time though, and in some ways frustrating for the same reasons that I mentioned above (knowing that the story you are watching is mostly fabricated by Kint). I did feel at times a little bit like I wanted to know the real events of what happened so it was kind of weird in that respect, watching it knowing that you're being lied to. That being said though, it didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the film, it was just something I found myself thinking at certain points.

Even after watching it for a second time, there's still aspects of it that I'm not totally clear on. I don't know if that's just me, or if I'm not meant to be clear on it all, or if I still don't fully understand it, but regardless, it makes me think that when/if I watch it for a third time, I'll enjoy it just as much and be just as engrossed which is another reason why I think this a brilliant film. Whilst some films I think are confusing for the sake of it, or overly frustrating, this film for me has a perfect balance where although I'm still left confused by some aspects, I know that without some confusion, it simply wouldn't be the same film or the same story, and it's the overall experience of this film that I love. So I still feel satisfied watching it even if I don't completely 'get' it at times

The performance are fantastic too. I can't fault any of them but the stand out ones for me were Benicio del Toro, Stephen Baldwin, Kevin Spacey and Pete Postlethwaite.

I'd give it 9/10.

Loads of favourite moments, but this was the most gifable

Spoiler:

"GIVE ME THE ****ING KEYS YOU ****ING ****SUCKER MOTHER****ER AAAARRRGGHHHH!!!"

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote