View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 AM #26

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
This may come across as me sounding patronising or something, but I don't know how else to put it without it sounding nicer.

I'm going to assume that both Ruth and Sunny don't have first-hand experience of this issue, as in... their own daughter experiencing it (Allow me to be corrected?), and although I fully accept that we're all allowed our opinions on the subject - to criticise someones decision for what they see fit for their OWN DAUGHTER - is just silly. Perhaps you don't agree with it, perhaps you see it as hypocritical in light of abortion (although sterilisation isn't killing a life!!) but someone isn't going to make a decision for their own daughter that would not benefit her in a way.

Perhaps someone with the mental age of 5 has not made the decision to be sterilised Ruth, but neither has she made the decision to have sex, to have an abortion (which lets face it, is what will have to happen unless it's adopted - also bad for the child). Therefore the lesser of the decisions is to sterilise, and I congratulate sarah for seeing what she see's as best for her daughter despite what other people may think - and also a general kudos for the hard work it must take to look after her children, she doesn't get enough appreciation for it.

(PS. I am in no way attacking others opinions, we're all entitled to them - I just think it's "silly" to say someone is hypocritical when making a decision they see best for their own child).
Who has called someone hypocritical? Certainly not me, and certainly not Sunny.

To be honest, your post did come across as patronising - everyone's opinion is valid whether or not they have personal experience of a situation. I'm not criticising Sarah one iota. What if someone in her position had a child and chose to make a different decision to Sarah? Who would be being 'silly' then?

Finally, this is a forum for serious debate. If people don't want to hear other opinions, then don't start a topic!

Sorry to seem rude, but I don't like being lectured to. I can't be bothered with arguing about it - so I'll say no more.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote