View Single Post
Old 23-08-2016, 12:56 PM #7
-

-

There's an element of inevitability when it comes to children, unfortunately... No matter how you try to spin it, it will always be women who take on the physical side of carrying and birthing a child (and in an ideal world, feeding an infant) and so when it comes to starting a family, the vast majority of families are obviously going to go down the route of the woman taking a break in her career... And taking a break will be detrimental to career progression. I genuinely can't see many ways around it, other than positive discrimination, which is simply bad for everyone in my opinion.

Ironically, I think that women who have children EARLY are probably at an advantage, whereas most career driven people in reality leave it late. Those having kids in their late 30's and 40's are having to take time out from their established careers, breaking the flow, eroding contacts, etc... Whereas those who have children young and then START a career a bit later - in their mid to late 20's - then have a "clear road ahead" so to speak once the kids are a little older.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote