BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
It doeant support terrorism though..

Also the republicans march as well, but they are usually in memory of a terrorist like the james connolly one held annually in edinburgh
Quite right. Republicans also have marches to commemorate the Easter Rising, the IRA Hunger Strikers, Republican Culture etc.

The Protestant Orange parade commemorating the battle of the boyne is the biggest, and before the Troubles many a Catholic brought their kids along for a good day out at the festivities. I went as a kid, and I brought my kids along with our Protestant friends. It wasn't until the Troubles that it all changed.

The reason the Orangemen parade near Catholic areas is because that was their traditional route when those areas were actually Protestant areas (and it is just a few areas). Their argument is that it is the Queens Highway and we have always walked this way, why should we have to re - route. Silly really. The Catholics feel the Protestants are taunting them by continuing to march nearby. Also silly really.
As far as I know it's been mainly sorted out by some re - routing and Orange bands ceasing playing if they still pass a Catholic area.

It's all been blown out of proportion by a few contentious issues over the years. All parades, Republican and Loyalist, pass off peacefully as a rule. It's just a question of each side respecting each others culture.

Last edited by jet; 12-06-2017 at 05:16 PM.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote