View Single Post
Old 29-06-2017, 04:47 PM #14
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be fair I do have to cautiously edge towards Truth on this one: Female-on-Male domestic abuse is rife, especially emotional abuse. Studies show approx 50/50, though less likely to result in death or serious injury. Less physical abuse in general, though that exists too; mainly because of the stigma of male-on-female violence. Where women won't retaliate against a violent man for fear of being physically overpowered and hurt badly, men often won't retaliate or defend themselves out of fear of how that will be perceived. Likewise men are less likely to admit to being abused out of a fear of appearing "weak" or being ridiculed which, sadly, does happen.

However, like I said, the main problem is men not coming forward in the first place... not a lack of resources for them to turn to. It's a sort of "supply and demand" situation really... men aren't seeking help in the first place for resources to be put into providing it. And again, the main reason that men won't come forward is actually because of the reactions of other men; a man's female friends are (statistically) far more likely to be sympathetic and understanding of a male coming forward to report abuse than their male friends.

So really the number one issue, long before providing resources, is changing that "guys should be emotionally robust and physically tough and it's shameful not to be those things" mindset that is common in basically every culture in the world. There's also a perception that emotional abuse is "less serious" than physical abuse, when actually the damage to an individual can be staggering.

I think this is one situation where Truthey is identifying a genuine problem, but pointing the blame cannon in the wrong direction and looking for solutions in the wrong places.
Indeed.

I don't see why men would be excluded from a helpline though tbh. I find that very odd and kind of want to see this report myself as I cannot understand how a national domestic abuse helpline could exclude half the country...

I totally understand female only shelters and such and understand why there are more of them than male ones. Usually, females set them up to help other females who are terrified of males as they have been abused. Excluding male people from those areas is completely right I think as females go there to escape and even the mere sight of a male could be scary right after being attacked.

Yes there should be more shelters for males, BUT..how many males are actually seriously injured or mentally scarred enough to have to use a shelter? Again we probably do not known because males bottle it all up for fear of being seen as 'not a man' and such.

Basically, until males attitudes towards themselves and other males changes, this problem will still be here. Its not the fault of 'feminists' who wish to help females who actually ask for help.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote