View Single Post
Old 17-10-2017, 05:02 PM #75
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
This one I can answer quite quickly though.

Men are not actually responsible for the actions of other men on an individual level though, would have thought that would maybe go without saying. Men (as a class) are responsible for what can lead to individual men feeling so...'backed up' in their misogyny though. Some women are misogynistic too. And some are more passive. Not saying they aren't. But it seems a bit silly to get into cases of individuals though. As there are exceptions to all rules.

Don't really understand the Muslims part. IF the absolutely huge majority (infact very nearly all) of terrorist attacks were committed by Muslim people then I do think it would be totally acceptable to allude to this being a problem predominately with one part of society. And to ask why this is. And what 'normal' Muslims could/should be doing to stop this anomaly that seems to be making one race hugely more dangerous than other races. And I would question why others did not think that these things were fair to say/ask actually.

Nearly all sexual violence is committed by men. Against both women, and against other men.

Infact, violence in general is nearly always committed by male people.

Not to turn into the new Truth here, but this simply isn't true. Most assaults that result in serious injury are committed by men, as men are more physically capable of causing serious injury without a weapon (and most violent incidents don't actually involve weapons). It's also true that there is MORE violence is committed by males. "Nearly always" however is a gross exaggeration; the domestic violence stats are close to being 50/50 by many measures. The main difference being that female-on-male domestic violence is (again) far less likely to result in serious injury, and also much less likely to be reported (very, very rare in fact). I personally actually know far more guys who have been slapped / kicked / had objects thrown at them by their female partners than females who have had their male partners get physical with them... it's just much more widely accepted for some reason. A guy stays out late with his friends and gets home to an angry girlfriend and she lobs something at him, he tells his friends the next day, it gets a "LOL". A girl gets home from a night out and her angry boyfriend chucks a boot at her and she tells her friends about it... at the very least he's he's going to be considered her "violent boyfriend" from that point on, and they'd probably encourage a police report.

As of course - they should. Domestic violence is never acceptable, in any form... my point isn't that it should be fair game, just illustrating how massively skewed official violence stats are because of social conventions. It's impossible to gauge that way. But most anonymous stats asking the simple question "have you ever been struck violently by a partner" show that the stats across genders and sexual orientations are pretty much all equal.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote