View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 01:21 PM #135
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Possible of course.

I believe that stunning is used in our country more for a health and safety thing than a welfare thing. So it would stand to reason that as much (if not more) emphasis was put on health and safety of the workers in those countries.

I'm a bit all over my place on my views on this, as I have never really thought deeply into the matter before tbh. I have been pretty firmly in the...living conditions matter so much more than final few minutes of life camp for as long as I can remember. Until for some reason I became overinvested in this thread. Which is nothing to do with cultural beliefs, more because it seems rational to me that a clean cut to the throat with a sharp enough knife should cause very little pain, if any at all and would be over quickly. And it was interesting to see a study posted that seemed to back up my thoughts on this. I think this is where I became over invested and maybe started getting a little silly with my bold statements

Obviously if we could get it where living conditions were always good, AND we had a universal method of death which was proven beyond all doubt to cause the least pain then that would be much preferable. But thats unlikely to happen anytime soon. Maybe this lab grown meat stuff might end some of this debate. Though we will always need to slaughter animals for food, even of the whole world went veggie. Unless we also gave up our pets at the same time...as it is definite cruelty to make a carnivore pet survive on a vegetarian diet IMO.
I feel very much the same, there is no kind method of killing an animal for meat and, judging by studies of how much the animal suffers with each method, the only real difference with western techniques is the delusion we place ourselves under. It would be lovely if there was a kind way of killing animals for meat but there isn't one that won't spoil the meat.

More emphasis should be placed on living conditions and it wouldn't surprise me if the countries you listed earlier have laws and regulations that reflect that. Battery farms and the like should be illegal, it would certainly help the farming industry if industrial battery farms are outlawed in favour of more traditional and kinder farming methods more common to the average farm.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote