View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 PM #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I think the "tribalism" problem spills over quite a lot here, too... essentially the idea that if you support something, you must not be critical of it in any way, you must pretend that it's all great for fear that the other "side" might feel like they have any sort of point (which must never happen).

What I'm saying here is... it is OK to be a Tory supporter, and to remain a Tory supporter, whilst also admitting that Theresa May has been a fairly weak and incompetent Prime Minister.
There also seems to be a lot of sympathy for her, which is also fine, we can have sympathy for people even when their predicament is in large part their own doing, but it is worth admitting that much of the mess she now finds herself in is down to her putting her own personal ambition above other concerns, and being fairly short-sighted there. She willing took a poisoned chalice in taking over as PM after Cameron quit, and we can hardly say that it wasn't knowingly... Cameron knew, that's why he dropped the position like a sack of radioactive waste. BoJo knew, that's why he distanced himself from his PM ambitions at that time and didn't even put his hat in. The vast majority of high-ranking Tories knew that it was going to be a ****show.

May grabbed it, I guess probably telling herself that she was up to the task, but the fact is, she hasn't been. You can admit that and still be a Tory... it won't cause anyone to morph into a Corbynite over night.
I think many of us are guilty of this, regardless of what side we sit on. The great thing about debate is, whilst we all have an opinion, we should be open to change if new information warrants that change. If we are not prepared to overcome our bias, even when well-informed evidence proves our bias is perhaps misinformed, then all we are partaking in is a tit for tat fight.

When it comes to political debate, too many people beat their chest without knowing much at all about the topic they are partaking in. Politics are so often treated like a faith that has to be worshipped and protected.