View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 07:40 PM #49
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
I think many of us are guilty of this, regardless of what side we sit on. The great thing about debate is, whilst we all have an opinion, we should be open to change if new information warrants that change. If we are not prepared to overcome our bias, even when well-informed evidence proves our bias is perhaps misinformed, then all we are partaking in is a tit for tat fight.

When it comes to political debate, too many people beat their chest without knowing much at all about the topic they are partaking in. Politics are so often treated like a faith that has to be worshipped and protected.
I've been incredibly guilty of it and only really realised to what extent within the last week .

I feel like I should clarify that a bit actually. I don't think I'm guilty if not being knowledgeable of things that I pretend to be, nor am I saying that my basic stance on most things has necessarily changed, however I have been guilty of tackling things from a "ur just wrong let's fight about that" perspective rather than actually bothering to at least try to understand properly where people's opinions are coming from, even the ones I don't agree with. Full disclosure on my thinking for why I've been doing this; purely intellectual laziness and apathy. But I reckon... If I can't be bothered to think things through properly, I should probably just not engage at all rather than the endless groundhog day back and forward of the same old arguments and catchphrases. I'm being the change I'd like to see!

Tbqfh I'm a ****ing hero. A hero. A champion. A warrior of light.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 10-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote