BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Sod it here's 20 more!

#60 - "J-Boy" by Phoenix
Another in my series of "disappointing comeback but at least there was this" moments in 2017
For fans of: songs whose titles are acronyms for the chorus lyrics, French synthpop

#59 - "Don't Delete the Kisses" by Wolf Alice
It wasn't an initial favourite from Visions of a Life but it grew quite a bit and I guess that's why it's crept into this list, isn't it?
For fans of: emotional tube journeys with impossibly good-looking boyfriends

#58 - "Standing in the Middle of the Field" by Cut Copy
Cut Copy are forever putting out loveable world-disco records but rarely do they make singles as immediate and catchy as this. The chorus is like opening your curtains now and it suddenly being mid-summer.
For fans of: v 'visual' music videos, fun

#57 - "Younger Now" by Miley Cyrus
Once the world had given up being outraged with Miley Cyrus' BANGERZ era and pretending to be surprised that a former-child star would have a rebellious and overtly sexually-liberal phase, Cyrus would release her worst material to date with the help of the Flaming Lips. That Dead Petz album was atrocious, even if it did launch Drag Race queens into awards show performances. A deep detox (yes, that's a pun) was needed and out emerges the clean-cut, child-friendly (and dare I say it, Madonna-looking) Miley with a stripped bare vocal and some lovely sentiments. Her best single of the year is still to come, here.
For fans of: ventriloquism, 50s diners

#56 - "All About Me" by Syd
Taking a break from her band The Internet, Syd's debut solo album was... pretty good actually?
For fans of: blue lighting

#55 - "On My Mind" by Jorja Smith & Preditah
Hopefully the BRITS Critics Choice starts to mean something again and 2018 will see her enjoy great success, because if this teaser is anything to go by it'll be richly deserved.
For fans of: a nice tracksuit and pretending garage didn't die

#54 - "It's Okay to Cry" by SOPHIE
Probably the year's biggest musical surprise was the visual reveal of just who SOPHIE is: through this music video. The sort of thing that'd make LT furious. Go rub her beautiful cheekbones all over his tedious face!
For fans of: acceptance ballads with explosive endings

#53 - "Something to Remember Me By" by The Horrors
The album between Skying and V - I genuinely cannot be bothered to look up what it was called - was SO disappointing that I didn't have much hope for this, their fifth. Probably their house-iest song to date, the Horrors seem one of the few bands who are genuinely capable of both revitalising themselves AND keeping the quality consistent. Bar the 4th one. Shush.
For fans of: British dystopian visuals (aka Black Mirror)

#52 - "oh baby" by LCD Soundsystem
Their hiatus after 2010 sort-of allowed Arcade Fire to steadily impose themselves as the world's greatest band at the moment. 2017 was a pretty resolute decider between the two. This is essentially all the atmospherics of Joy Division but with a far happier resolution.
For fans of: just... anything, really.

#51 - "Die 4 You" by Perfume Genius
Every album cycle of his I get to play the "I saw him when there were only two albums" game like every other smug dickhead and it's all the more fulfilling because: 1) I've only seen two bands live and 2) he somehow keeps going from strength to strength. You thought Britney Spears was iconic with a chair? Sweetie. No.
For fans of: OPULENCE, DARLING

#50 - "Anywhere" by Rita Ora
In a year's time this may well indeed be a disposable piece of 2017 nostalgia that, by then, was overplayed and irritating, but for now it's a sky-reaching pop song and that's a rare thing for anyone, let alone Rita Ora, to achieve nowadays.
For fans of: replying to this thread with a name you have actually heard of

#49 - "Cool Your Heart" by Dirty Projectors & D∆WN
The video is essentially 'edging' in visual form but that's fine, because the song is super quirky and not quite the collaboration I was expecting from 2017.
For fans of: good jackets

#48 - "Ascension" by Gorillaz & Vince Staples
I was hard-pushed to name a stand-out track from Humanz but I guess this one just about wins. The Gorillaz comeback seemed to be a little more subdued than I expected it to be, but I guess that was because they embraced the likes of Staples (both him and Mavis), Popcaan and Zebra Katz rather than the likes of Beyonce. Any terrible band can get Beyonce, lately.
For fans of: shouting

#47 - "Skim" by Torres
Whilst not technically as immediately slaying as 'Strange Hellos' or 'Honey', the two lead singles from her previous albums, 'Skim' makes up for it with SHEER LESBIAN ENERGY. Yara Greyjoy's anthem? Perhaps.
For fans of: cleavage

#46 - "Sugar for the Pill" by Slowdive
I wasn't actually properly aware of Slowdive before this 20-year comeback and now this has got me wondering what other majestic phenomena I'm still yet to discover.
For fans of: being very quiet and just looking out at scenery whilst listening to this on a motorway

#45 - "New York" by St. Vincent
St. Vincent seemed to be 'that musician' who would always be doomed to being the one I 'didn't get'... until 2017. This album is fantastic and of course releasing a dedication to her hometown that simultaneously mourns the loss of David Bowie is always going to be an easy ticket to my heart.
For fans of: outstanding aesthetics, simple and poignant contemplation of loss

#44 - "Despacito" by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee (and or without Justin Bieber)
I mean, it's a record-breaker that was inescapable and for the most part of its peak earwormness was at least "foot-tappably" good. Started a movement of everyone trying to catch up for the rest of the year. For better or worse.
For fans of: not bothering to look up what the lyrics actually mean

#43 - "What About Us" by P!nk
It defies belief, really, that amidst all of the squabbling and accusations of FLOP! that pop queens' fans immerse themselves in, it would be P!nk that is the only one able to stand next to Beyonce in terms of longevity. P!nk is indeed a modern marvel: a popstar still capable of delivering emotional and catchy bangers.
For fans of: overt vulnerability

#42 - "Smile" by Jay-Z & Gloria Carter
The damage done by 'Lemonade' to the credibility of Jay-Z, certainly from the stance of The Gays and most women (ie TiBB) might have been irreversible and I know that, without a visual or sound prompt BECAUSE OF ****ING TIDAL, I might not be able to change that, but if Jay-Z's own mother coming out as a lesbian on what might be the year's most positive and uplifting track can't heal a reputation then I don't know what can really!
For fans of: adding another one to the list of lesbians I am going to reference in this countdown

#41 - "Chasing Highs" by Alma
Another of 2017's "almost-but-not-quite" hits, 'Chasing Highs' is one of the year's most assertive and indomitable anthems and a must-have for any playlist.
For fans of: Finland doing something worthwhile after Lordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote