View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 PM #43

I think trans women who are the victims of abuse should be allowed refuge, we should aim to protect all people in genuine need. And I think that's currently what happens. The problems seem to be with the potential new laws of self-identification and the process being made easier? I don't know a lot about them and need to look more into it tbh, but from what I've heard, I think there's a danger here to both women and transwomen. It seems like these laws could blur the lines in terms of public perception between transwomen and predatory men who claim to be trans, and in turn is likely to cause an even bigger divide between women and trans women as well as make certain situations more difficult for both, and so I'm wondering who these laws actually aim to benefit? Surely the current way of being able to asses a persons history of transexualism to determine genuine cases makes the most sense (and that would no longer factor into things with the new proposed way of self-id as far as I understand it but I could be wrong I'm not 100% sure on this), and with genuine cases of transwomen being allowed refuge I don't believe there is a danger to women in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
This is why I wonder about having been born with "a womans brain" in cases like India, to me her idea of what a woman is, is very much how a man would describe what a woman is, wears heels and dresses, like's nail polish and shopping etc
To be fair most transpeople undergo SRS and dress a certain way, not because they feel it's necessary do that to be a woman, but because they feel it's necessary to do that in order to be treated as a woman by the rest of society, and often it's something almost subconscious/ingrained, from a young age and being aware of the different social constructs surrounding gender and seeing boys/girls men/women being treated differently and in their minds these facades can become a fixation almost, in that they are things that can be changed and in doing so they will be more likely to be treated as the sex that they feel their biology should be. I mean you're not really wrong about it being what someone else would describe as what a woman looks like, but it's much deeper than just thinking 'a girl wears heels so if I wear heels I'll be a girl', as they already believe they are the opposite gender, they just want to be recognised by others as such, and in their minds they're not going to be unless they do those things, so I think is understandable.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote