Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokka View Post
My response was directly to a few phrases I read over multiple pages by Niamh. My own trans kid is a member on this site and saw what I was posting as we discussed it and conversed about it as it was happening... and if they are proud of their mother having their back.. that's all I need. I just am sickened by the turn this site has taken over the last few months.. propping up and patting the backs of those setting the anti-trans rhetoric.
I can't say I saw anything incendiary or offensive by Niamh in that thread personally, there were FAR worse things being said by other members...as usual. But I appreciate that your mileage may vary, and with such a personal stake in this topic I can see why you reacted. That said, I stand by what I said - neither of them, in the almost ten years I've been on this forum, have ever struck me as the kind of people (and indeed parents) who would treat a trans person (their child or otherwise) without the respect and/or love that they deserve.

I totally understand and agree that the discourse and atmosphere in threads on gender hasn't been very pleasant on this forum for quite a while now, and like I said, that's why I've made a conscious decision to avoid partaking in them - despite it being a huge passion of mine and my favourite area of research, study and debate. When you have a personal stake in the discussion (though mine is of course far, far, far removed and different from yours) it makes it all the more emotive, and let's be honest, it's an emotive enough topic on all sides as it is. That's in part why I think it has reached the stage that is has, but unfortunately that's led to a lack of productive discourse, and heated exchanges like this today.

But again, I must reiterate, despite all of that - and although I completely understand and sympathise with the position you're coming from, I think your target is the wrong one.