Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 PM #1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Default Film critic Roger Ebert dies aged 70

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22035330

Quote:
Renowned American film critic Roger Ebert has died at 70 after a long battle with cancer, his newspaper the Chicago Sun-Times has reported.

Ebert, known for his thumbs-up or down television reviews with partner and friend Gene Siskel, became a film critic for the Sun-Times in 1967.

He was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2002, losing his jaw and his ability to speak in a subsequent surgery.

But he later resumed writing full-time and also returned to television.

On Tuesday, Ebert revealed on his popular blog that he faced a fresh bout with cancer and was taking a "leave of presence", writing fewer reviews.

He suffered a hip fracture in December that he said "had recently been revealed to be a cancer".

"It is being treated with radiation, which has made it impossible for me to attend as many movies as I used to," he wrote. But Ebert vowed to continue his work.

Ebert's columns were syndicated in hundreds of newspapers worldwide, and he won the prestigious Pulitzer Prize for criticism in 1975 - the first film critic to do so.

In the same year, a film review show starring Ebert and cross-town rival Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune premiered on local television. Within a few years the programme - with its thumbs-up or down judgements - was broadcast nationally, making Siskel and Ebert household names in the US.

The programme, in various guises, continued until Siskel's death in 1999.

Ebert was the author of more than 15 books about the movies.

His TV career was curtailed in 2002 when he was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer.

A portion of his lower jaw was removed in a 2006 cancer surgery, and he lost the ability to speak, eat or drink. He turned to the internet, where his writings continued to garner enormous audiences. Wearing a prosthetic chin and with his reviews read by voice-over actors, he eventually returned to television.

Roger Joseph Ebert was born in Urbana, Illinois on 18 June 1942. He began covering high school sports for a local newspaper at 15 and was editor of his university's student newspaper.

Ebert spent a year on scholarship at the University of Cape Town in South Africa before beginning work on a doctorate in English at the University of Chicago.

Shortly after he began working for the Sun-Times part-time and was named its movie critic in 1967.

In his last blog, he wrote: "It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital.

"So, on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness."
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM #2
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

R.I.P.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 PM #3
Banned

Banned

Oh wow, it's a shame that he succumbed to it after fighting it for so long
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 PM #4
-

-

R.I.P
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:31 PM #5
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

The Onion

Quote:
CHICAGO—Calling the overall human experience “poignant,” “thought-provoking,” and a “complete tour de force,” film critic Roger Ebert praised existence Thursday as “an audacious and thrilling triumph.” “While not without its flaws, life, from birth to death, is a masterwork, and an uplifting journey that both touches the heart and challenges the mind,” said Ebert, adding that while the totality of all humankind is sometimes “a mess in places,” it strives to be a magnum opus and, according to Ebert, largely succeeds at this goal. “At times brutally sad, yet surprisingly funny, and always completely honest, I wholeheartedly recommend existence. If you haven’t experienced it yet, then what are you waiting for? It is not to be missed.” Ebert later said that while human existence’s running time was “a little on the long side,” it could have gone on much, much longer and he would have been perfectly happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
70, aged, critic, dies, ebert, film, roger