Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

View Poll Results: Is an 18-year-old truly an adult (in your eyes anyway)?
With what life experience? No, no and no. 4 28.57%
With what life experience? No, no and no.
4 28.57%
Teenagers might essentially be kids but I don’t think 18’s too young. Is what it is 0 0%
Teenagers might essentially be kids but I don’t think 18’s too young. Is what it is
0 0%
I do think at 18 you’re grown enough to be considered an all-round adult. 3 21.43%
I do think at 18 you’re grown enough to be considered an all-round adult.
3 21.43%
Maybe (barely) but it’s all about stages. 18 isn’t 25 and 25 isn’t 40 (and so on). 4 28.57%
Maybe (barely) but it’s all about stages. 18 isn’t 25 and 25 isn’t 40 (and so on).
4 28.57%
Individual maturity levels factor in more to me. 3 21.43%
Individual maturity levels factor in more to me.
3 21.43%
Everyone’s a kid to someone but 18’s old enough. Just not in a house full of adult-adults 0 0%
Everyone’s a kid to someone but 18’s old enough. Just not in a house full of adult-adults
0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2023, 03:01 PM #1

Default Is an 18-year-old truly an adult?

Big Brother ain’t going to turn away anyone 18+ if they do make it through the audition but the whole thing with Hallie struggling to fit in just got me thinking about this whole long-standing debate of whether you’re really developed and mature enough at 18 to be rightly considered anything more than a legal teenager or not. So here I am belting out another one of these threads.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude, don’t go hanging on to negativity and don’t go underselling yourself. That is all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:05 PM #2

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

Yes
Old 03-11-2023, 03:07 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Yes
Okay, then.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude, don’t go hanging on to negativity and don’t go underselling yourself. That is all.
Old 03-11-2023, 03:11 PM #4
The voice of reason

The voice of reason

ABSOLUTELY NOT
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:22 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
ABSOLUTELY NOT
Yeah, kinda. Pretty much. 18’s legal and rightly so (if you’re of an age where you can go to uni you should have some rights anyway) but adolescence peaks and rounds off from 21 - 25 and you get more life experience with every passing year. Grow on it. At an age where you’re just starting off you’re too young to really know much of anything about anything that requires you to sort of stand on your own two feet, as smart and intellectually advanced as you might be (there’s a difference between having a high IQ and being street-savvy). It’s an arbitrary age is 18 and it’s in the thick of mid.-late puberty. You’re just old enough to go to uni and buy your own alcohol. You still have the brain of a kid.

Millennial and early Gen.-Z teens seemed to grow up a lot quicker though. I know they say with each passing generation that kids know more and more but the worst thing modern teenagers do is vape. They’re not allowed or encouraged to have the same vices (being able to buy ciggie-smokes at 16, tapping into the still-available opportunity to have a half-pint or snakebite in the pub at 16/17 so long as someone fully legal is there, being able to leave formal education at 16 should they choose to do so) so they’re kept infantilised and baby-ish.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:22 PM #6
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

yes
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:28 PM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

This weird need some people have to infantilise people into their adulthood is getting ridiculous, once you’re 18, you’re an adult, that’s just the basic fact, they’re not semi-adults, they’re not adults on training wheels, they’re adults, fully responsible for themselves by law, free to make all their own decisions, be who they want to be and do whatever they want to do with only the law as restrictions, it’s quite sad to see people willing to hold adults back and try and keep them mentally dependent
Old 03-11-2023, 03:36 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
ABSOLUTELY NOT

Agreed 100% today’s 18 year olds are the equivalent of 12 year olds back in the day ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:42 PM #9
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Yes.
Some 18 year olds, even 16 year olds talk more sense in my view than those many decades older.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:46 PM #10

It depends on the individual and also on what life experiences they have had.
isoveli22211 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:02 PM #11
The voice of reason

The voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Agreed 100% today’s 18 year olds are the equivalent of 12 year olds back in the day ..

Indeed

18 year olds are still kids
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:06 PM #12

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Yes legally you are, ok you're still young . But also I don't like how people try to make excuses with " oh they're only 18" ie like with Hallie. But also 18 year olds might still act immature as they're still learning in life .

How many of us thought exactly the same way when we were 18 as we do now ? . I know for a fact as you get older ...you gain more life experiences,and you get wiser , obviously everyone is different though. Some people are already mature for their age .

But overall out brain development changes when we reach our 20's .
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:08 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
This weird need some people have to infantilise people into their adulthood is getting ridiculous, once you’re 18, you’re an adult, that’s just the basic fact, they’re not semi-adults, they’re not adults on training wheels, they’re adults, fully responsible for themselves by law, free to make all their own decisions, be who they want to be and do whatever they want to do with only the law as restrictions, it’s quite sad to see people willing to hold adults back and try and keep them mentally dependent
No-one on this thread’s trying to keep them mentally dependent though. That’s the government’s thing. But the fact is you’re not even remotely close to being fully developed biologically and mentally until 21-25. 18’s just an arbitrary legal age.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:26 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Yes legally you are, ok you're still young . But also I don't like how people try to make excuses with " oh they're only 18" ie like with Hallie. But also 18 year olds might still act immature as they're still learning in life .

How many of us thought exactly the same way when we were 18 as we do now ? . I know for a fact as you get older ...you gain more life experiences,and you get wiser , obviously everyone is different though. Some people are already mature for their age .

But overall out brain development changes when we reach our 20's .
A lot of the people saying that 18’s fully developed are the ones who’d turn around to call grooming and advantage being taken if an 18-year-old girl sleeps with a man in his 40s, as if 18-year-olds aren’t really old enough to know who they want to have sex with (and there’s a difference between NSA fun in any case between two consenting legal adults and actually having a relationship, because the latter really would require levelling up in terms of having at least a decent bit of experience).

Old 03-11-2023, 04:30 PM #15

I was still watching kids TV at 18, so I'd say no.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:35 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt View Post
I was still watching kids TV at 18, so I'd say no.
Lots of people have tap into memory lane and revisit childhood TV shows to be fair (lockdown was a lot of people’s cue to do that) so that’s actually neither here nor there. But when you’re 18 (whether you’re in college, doing your A-Levels, a uni. noob or just an 18-year-old trying to navigate through life) you’re just not grown and that’s as much of a fact as it is that 18’s legal. You can’t even buy booze in America until you’re 21.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:38 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Lots of people have tap into memory lane and revisit childhood TV shows to be fair (lockdown was a lot of people’s cue to do that) so that’s actually neither here nor there. But when you’re 18 (whether you’re in college, doing your A-Levels, a uni. noob or just an 18-year-old trying to navigate through life) you’re just not grown and that’s as much of a fact as it is that 18’s legal. You can’t even buy booze in America until you’re 21.
I understand that. But I kept on watching at 18. I wasn't going back down memory lane.

I didn't feel as if I had truly grew up until I was 40 which was last year.
Old 03-11-2023, 04:41 PM #18

Quote:
I understand that. But I kept on watching at 18. I wasn't going back down memory lane.

I didn't feel as if I had truly grew up until I was 40 which was last year.
Gotcha.

I’d dash you at least young adult at 21 anyway. These days 18-20-year-olds are essentially legal young-uns. Very young.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:46 PM #19

Quote:
Gotcha.

I’d dash you at least young adult at 21 anyway. These days 18-20-year-olds are essentially legal young-uns. Very young.
And young guys like Tom should never have a bumfluff 'tach.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:50 PM #20

Quote:
And young guys like Tom should never have a bumfluff 'tach.

Lol. I haven’t been “clean-shaven” since I was about 17 and a half (a ’tache started growing above my lips from 15 anyway) but that was partly because I had sensitive skin (still do) and all shaving was doing was giving me huge razor-bumps, so it wasn’t worth it. It helped that the facial hair helped make me pass for a bit older but that wasn’t the primary reason for me growing it out, just a bonus. People like me aren’t supposed to shave extensively. I just shave my throat and leave the rest to the barber when I go in for a trim/shape-up. I got one or two looks from some disapproving aunties who thought I was just some teenager trying to make a rebellious fashion-statement but it wasn’t even like that. It was just better for my health that I didn’t shave too much. I didn’t fancy looking young either, true, but it wasn’t just about that. The goatee had no reason to be cut out.

Last edited by Redway; 03-11-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:10 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post

Doesn’t mean I agree with actively infantilising teenagers in a patronising way (not trusting a 17-year-old who’s doing their A-Levels, going to parties and sending off UCAS applications to stay home alone for two hours in the evening because the law says they’re still at least a partial child). Teenagers below 18 are yet to reach full legal adulthood and you’re still developing for years after but 17 isn’t 7, either. Some people take it too far and treat underage teenagers like actual little kids.

At 16 to 18 you’re far from fully developed but you’re not actually a child. I say kid but I say that colloquially, not literally. A lot of people see it literally and expect people to still almost believe in the tooth fairy until the day they turn 18, as if they’ve never experienced what it’s like to actually be a teenager.

Last edited by Redway; 03-11-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:17 PM #22

Quote:
Doesn’t mean I agree with actively infantilising teenagers in a patronising way (not trusting a 17-year-old who’s doing their A-Levels, going to parties and sending off UCAS applications to stay home alone for two hours in the evening because the law says they’re still at least a partial child). Teenagers below 18 are yet to reach full legal adulthood and you’re still developing for years after but 17 isn’t 7, either. Some people take it too far and treat underage teenagers like actual little kids.

At 16 to 18 you’re far from fully developed but you’re not actually a child.

I see your side of things although I don’t think my old mum would

She was working long hours , 6 days a week in a cotton factory at 12 years of age

Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:03 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoveli22211 View Post
It depends on the individual and also on what life experiences they have had.
Yes totally agree.
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:11 PM #24
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

I literal terms yes however I think 21 is a more sensible age to consider someone an actual adult - whilse still treating them like an adult from 18. I think that second part is vital TBH, because part of the reason I'd say 21 for measuring someone by the standards of a "full adult" is that they have been, for want of a better term, then been "living as an adult" for 3 years so they are an adult with ... experience of adulting.

Expecting someone to suddenly at 18 have the adult life experience to make reasonable adult decisions is insane. How? With what knowledge base?

BUT you have to keep 18 as the legal adult age, so they people DO get that experience of "somewhere between teen and adult" before they get into their early 20's... at which point it's then reasonable to expect people to stop acting like teenagers.

Otherwise you just end up with 20 year old teenagers, and "proper adulting" beginning at 24, and so on and so on.

FWIW if we're talking about in the context of Big Brother and other similar reality shows (Love Island et al) - I do think it should be 21 to apply.
Soldier Boy is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:20 PM #25

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Yes SB.

Make them wear L Plates as well.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic